Chapter 3: Lupine Peak

If you had super powers, what would they be? I have always had an unhealthy obsession with flying

If you had super powers, what would they be? I have always had an unhealthy obsession with flying. So much so, that there have been copious incidents in my past where I have tried to jump off rocks, climbing frames, houses, bridges and even cliffs. Eventually my dad would only take me on outings to places where we were safe and firm on the ground. It was the only place where I would not become suddenly suicidal. Now don't get me wrong, I did not want to kill myself, I just wanted to fly; to become one with the wind and sky. It is so poetic. I guess I also had a subconscious thought that it would make me closer to my mother. I am also infatuated with the stars and moon, the luminous pearl hanging out of the unassailable heavens surrounded by millions of blinking fairy lights. It truly is magical.

However, although it would be an absolute dream come true to fly, I bloody hate aeroplanes. There is something ghastly and unnatural about being trapped in a tin can, soaring through the air. Any slight problem and you're dead! Game over, with no restart. Death by falling out of the sky is not very graceful or romantical. Fortunately for me, I have my sleeping tablets with me, so I am able to relax throughout the hours I have to spend on the plane. I was having a wonderful dream, which involved me being the star of a teen romance book, when all of a sudden the unfathomably hot boy's face started morphing into that of a... bald woman? Jumping awake, I realised it was in fact the flight attendant asking me to put on my seatbelt in preparation for landing. Goodbye, my imaginary hot love, I hope you return to my dreams tonight. Oops, did I say that aloud? The old woman sitting next to me sure is giving me a funny look.

As the plane starts to descend, I feel like I might combust into a puddle of puke, anxiousness and panic. Aeroplanes seriously are not my thing. I suck on my lolly hard, trying my best to clear my ears. As I am a Lycan – well, half at the moment, my ears are very sensitive, and it really hurts me because I am keenly sensitive to the change in air pressure inside the air craft as it goes up and down. The old woman keeps rolling her eyes at me as I let out tiny mewls and moans because of the painful sensation making me seriously contemplate cutting my ears off. Seriously oh great 'I don't feel pain' ancient one, if you were a Were then you would understand why I am making so much fuss! Some people are just so intolerant.

When I feel the wheels finally hit the concrete, I exhale in relief. I have that calmative feeling one gets after holding in a wee until desperation, and then finally being able to go. What? It happens to the best of us! The little airport is looming into view, getting closer and closer as the plane starts to reduce from its blazing rocket-fast speed, down to crawling at a sluggish, snail-like pace. The airport building looks cute, with large windows allowing you to see the spectacular view of... well, planes, and is painted with a professional grey and white colour scheme. It looks distinctively smaller then the airport I just came from, although that would not be hard since the other one was like a freaking shopping mall! Seriously, I may have splurged in the departure lounge... just a little bit.

I feel the excitement and nerves of the almost – future bottling up in me, spreading tingles of anticipation through my veins, as I am waiting very patiently for the moment the attendant tells us we can disembark.