Chapter 30 - Goodbye's

My heartbreak feels cold

My heartbreak feels cold. It's like concrete drying in my chest. Perhaps the worst part is that the heartbreak is unexpected, as is always is; top of the world one minute and cut down the next. I feel like my heart is literally cracking in two, leaving a massive, gaping hole in my chest. Tears stab at my eyes, making my vision go blurry, but Alex does not even notice, his eyes stamped onto his beautiful erasthai. I feel my heartbeat rising, and my breathing becoming shallower, but before the tears can leak from my eyes, I jump up and bolt away into the forest behind the shimmering lake. I keep running and running, sobbing quietly, before I trip and land face first onto the dusty forest floor. I don't have any strength to get up and continue running from my heartache, so I stay down, weak and oppressed with hot tears dripping from my cheeks, creating a puddle on the floor. Violent sobs wrack my body, as I cry out in pain and sorrow.

We were never destined to be, but I fooled myself into thinking we could be each other's everything. In another life maybe, but right now our story has finished. I was so foolish! I cannot believe I admitted I'm in love with him! To his face! Everything is ten times harder now. There is no question about what is going to happen. He will mate with her and sweep her back to Russia to become his queen, whilst I grow old and die alone with seventeen cats. I don't even like cats! At the thought, fresh tears stream down my face.

Suddenly I hear his bounding footsteps echoing in the distance, before his alluring scent comes into range. It usually offers comfort and peace, but right now, it adds to the pain and wretchedness.

"G-go away!" I hiccup through my tears, once I know he is close enough to hear.

"Phoebe..." Alex murmurs back, sounding equally as disconsolate as I am.

"N-no. J-just g-go. Be with... with her." I stumble over my words, refusing to look at him knowing that he can never be mine.

"Phoebe... I am so sorry. This wasn't... I'm sorry. I'm not leaving you alone." He sighs, sadness deeply engraved into his voice.

In response, I merely continue to cry, his presence overwhelming me. Why is he here? He should be with his t-true love, not with me, a sad, pathetic girl who stupidly allowed herself to be in love with him. Even though my eyes are firmly closed, buried into my arms, and even though he has his erasthai, I am still so in tune with him. I try not to think about the fact this his heartbeat is slightly faster than usual, and he keeps cracking his knuckles – a nervous trait of his. I should not be thinking about him so much subconsciously, but I guess it is just one of the side affects of love.

"Phoebe..." Alex groans out like a wounded animal, before taking steps towards me.

"Don't!" I hiss, successfully stopping him in his tracks.

I shakily sit up, trying to swallow my never-ending sobs, whilst rubbing the story of sadness from my puffy eyes. Looking down I notice my hands are bleeding; scraped from the fall, but I never even registered the pain, as I am numb with heartache. Once I have calmed down to some degree, still shaking and hiccupping with sadness, I turn to look at Alex, who is on his knees a little distance from me. He looks so broken, and fresh tears trail from my eyes as I take in his beautiful form, his eyes misty with sorrow and tears ready to drip. I swallow a strangled sob, as I know that he will never be mine to touch, to hold or to love again.