Chapter 12: The First Attack

At last it's Friday

At last it's Friday. I have managed to escape running into 'he-who-shall-not-be-named' or any of his friends, because I have had to sacrifice all of my spare periods and after school free time for history, biology and art catch-up. I really would not recommend switching schools half way through your senior year. It is now my last period at school, and I am really not bothering to listen to the scientific things my chemistry teacher is valiantly telling us about. All she does is talk, talk, talk and look down on you as if you are a peasant. The problem with being so spectacularly bored is that with nothing else to preoccupy your mind, other, toxic ones can start to take over... like 'he-who-shall-not-be-named' eyes. How is it even possible for eyes to be so blue?

I am pulled rather hastily out of my thoughts when an alarm starts blaring rather noisily throughout the school, and town. The alarm sounds like the horn of a juggernaut; clamouring, Unceasing. It is crippling my thoughts and assaulting my ears. I wonder where the school bought it from; it is genius; no one can ignore it. With my heightened senses, I can confirm that there is not a fire in this building... so why is there an alarm? Straining my senses, I take a deep breath in, trying to see if there is anything unusual in the air. Very faintly, like a whisper carried by the wind, I can detect the unannounced scent of wolves, a few miles from here. Alarmed, I can sense them coming closer to the border, and worryingly they do not have the same hazelnut scent carved into their DNA like all Lupine Peak members have. This means that they are either visitors from another pack... or rogues.

Before I have time to react, the teacher hushes all of the nervous whisperings, and asks us to pack all of our things up, and return home immediately. Surprisingly, I notice that the were's in the room are not panicking; they are just acting tense with sombre expressions carved into their manner. They all head out systematically, not talking, but I can feel in the air that something grave is happening. I latch on to Spencer's arm and ask her what is going on, as we all hurry out of the school.

"Well, the alarm means that there has been an attack... and all were's need to go to the pack house. The warriors will protect the town and humans." She explains lowly.

"Shit. Will everything be ok?" I ask worriedly.

"Hopefully... do you want a ride to the pack house? Tammy and Brad will already be there as they are the gamma and gamma's mate."

"Yes please!" I reply.

I hop into the car with Jed and Spencer, wondering how serious this threat is. Obviously pretty bad if the town in being placed under lockdown. If a were was to attack a human town, then deep shit would go down as the local authorities would have to get involved, and it could lead to the reveal of our kind. That is why living near a town of humans is advantageous for wolves – it scares hunters and rogues off from wanting to attack. Also, it would cause an all out war, as were's are not allowed to attack humans under any circumstances, unless it's for self defence or they are hunters. Any wolf that does is forced to become a rogue, or in worse case scenarios, executed. The entire pack lives close together in the pack house or houses built near along the mountain, as they are familial creatures and like to be close together all the time.

Due to Jed's exhilarating speeding, we reach the pack house within ten minutes. There are about fifteen wolves surrounding the perimeter, each one looking antsier then the rest. I can tell from the black of their eyes that their wolves are prominent and on edge, ready to shift at any sudden change in the atmosphere. I say a quick goodbye to Spencer and Jed, as they rush off to their families, whilst I go in search of Tammy and Brad. Following my nose, I stalk into the pack house, briefly admiring the amazing tree mural on the wall, before hiking past the downstairs bathrooms and towards the back of the house, where a big meeting room is located. Two guards are located outside the heavy closed doors, and their eyes flash silver as they mind link with one another after sensing me. Silently one of them opens the door, allowing me to enter into the room. Inside everyone of high rank is seated around a long glass table, looking tense. They are all murmuring to each other, whilst Alpha Maddox has what looks to be an intense conversation with his bratty son, Ryder. My frown increases as I spot him.

I spy Tammy and Brad sitting next to the delta, his mate and their son, and notice Tammy looking terrified and out of place. I guess she was forced to come. When she spies me she urgently beckons me over, and I start to creep towards her, not wanting any attention on me, but of course it is futile, because as soon as the other were's catch my human scent, they furiously turn towards me. Brad quickly explains that I am with him though, which settles down the untrusting were's, but they still look at me very oddly, as I am a random hot human girl in a room full of important werewolf officials. All attention is broken off from me though as soon as Alpha Maddox opens his mouth and his deep voice rumbles out.

"It has come to our attention that there are several rogues on our border. We don't know what their inclinations are of as yet, but I authorised the panic button because I want everyone under lock down." The alpha grumbles out, looking severely displeased with the situation.

"Have they attempted contact or crossed into our lines yet?" Someone speaks up, of which I guess to be the Beta.

"No, but I have sent word to our sister pack, The Thunder Lupis pack, to be on stand by just in case we need backup." The alpha explains.

"What is your verdict alpha?" Brad speaks up. "Do we attack, or talk? There are ten of the best warriors attempting to deal with them now."

"We should hear them out, as they are not in our land and haven't shown a threat as of yet, meaning if we attack them then it would be classed as murder." The beta cuts in, informing us gravely.

"We listen to what they have to say then. As of now all of our twenty-seven warriors have been put in place, meaning we may need the Thunder Lupis pack to help back up the town." The alpha sighs, taking a swig from his brandy.

"I second that alpha. We are such a small pack of only fifty-eight wolves that we don't have enough warriors to protect everyone if it turns to the shits." The beta explains worriedly.

"Send a messenger wolf to Alpha Cinder now. I don't want any bloodshed, but you can never be too careful with rogues in the cards." Ryder speaks up, his first act of being a true destined alpha.

"Yes get on that." The true alpha agrees.

A young were with sandy coloured hair standing by the door hurriedly rushes out to act in compliance with the alphas orders. I hear his bones breaking and then cracking into place as he transforms into his wolf, before the sound proof doors slam shut, cutting off all noises from outside.

We all look back to the alpha to hear his next decision, when the door blasts open again, causing much panic. Literally all of the officers in the room launch themselves up and bare their sharp canines, daring anyone to attack. The intruder is only a tracker though, who falls to his knees, baring his neck in a sign of submission to the irate officials in the room.

"Permission to speak?" He asks timidly.

"Permission granted." Alpha Maddox grunts.

"Alpha... there, there is a body... on the border. Of a young wolf in our pack." He stutters.

"What!" The alpha roars.

"That's not all... there is a note in his blood... saying that he is the first of many."

All at once the collected composures of everyone snaps, as the room falls into deep disarray. Everyone is talking, everyone is panicking, some are nearly shifting, the Luna is nearly crying... and I? I am wondering why on earth rogues would dare to attack a pack and kill one of their members without aggravation. They must know that a crime like this will cause a bloody war.

The peaceful times are over.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter hunny bunnies!!! Please vote and comment xoxo

Edited