Chapter 25 - The Attack

As we pull up to the house, I am sure Alex can sense my inner turmoil

As we pull up to the house, I am sure Alex can sense my inner turmoil. I am barely keeping it together. I want to cry and scream, but I force myself to remain stiff like a Barbie doll. As soon as the engine powers off, I fling the car door open, which is miraculously unlocked now and leg it up to my room, leaving Alex and his worried gaze behind. The worse part is I am sure he does not realise what is wrong. Why would he? He basically told me implicitly that the kiss we shared... was a mistake. I am the distraction Lord Archer was warning him against, and he took the advice. Well, well done him! Now that I am out the way, he will probably be out touring the globe for his precious erasthai, or he will be paired with a beautiful, powerful lycan, who will satisfy him in every way. The truth should not be hurting me so much, but it is. 'There's other fish in the ocean' they say, but none the same as the perfect one that captured my heart.

As I reach my sickly sweet room, too light and airy for my liking at the moment, I slam the door shut and lock it, embracing my inner teenage angst. I connect my iPhone to my speaker and blast out some tunes to muffle the sounds of my pain. Tammy and Ana keep knocking on my door, trying to coax me into opening it, although I pretend I cannot hear them and continue to mope around. Life is so unfair! At last, I think I am on the right path, and then my feet are swiped out from underneath me! I stay in my bed under the covers all afternoon, until I finally decide that I need food, as the noises my stomach is making are very loud and annoying. I have a large chocolate bar hidden behind my wardrobe for emergencies just like this, so I pluck it out and greedily eat the whole bar. It is so sweet and smooth in my mouth, but it doesn't warm me and I still feel unsettlingly numb and cold.

Sighing, I change out of my denim mini skirt and striped crop top, into a basic tee and leggings, and stuff my hair up into a messy bun. I am rocking this post-breakup look! Ugh, I am so sad! We were not even together! I wish... Wait. What was that? Turning down the music, I can make out noises that sound like someone is preparing for a war downstairs, with raised voices, feet stomping around and things clanging together. What on earth? Maybe I should go down and see what's happening, although I do not want to run into he who shall not be named. Granted... I am hungry; that chocolate did not really fill me up... What? I am a growing girl you know!

Suddenly I hear Tammy crying, the sound so heart wrenching that my feet fly out the door to see what is happening, before I can even think what to do. Downstairs the Lycan's are running about, looking angry and panicked, and carrying various weapons. Tammy is crying holding onto Brad at the bottom of the steps trying to keep him from leaving somewhere. But where?

"What's going on?" I rush out, panicked at the way everybody is acting, as if we are about to enter a war zone.

"Phoebe, go to the panic room with Tammy and lock the door! You'll be safe down there." Alex growls at me.

"Panic room? What! Why? What's happened?" I squeal anxiously.

"Rogues have kidnapped Jacinda and Alex's cousin Lucian and his mate Sapphire. They shot them with silver darts and took them off into the forests. I tried to stop them but I got shot." Vincent tells me, where Ana is currently attending his wound.