Chapter 37 - Searching for Her

Alex's POV

Alex's POV

"Dammit!" I roar, trying to keep my lycan at bay.

I have just arrived at the scene, and found out that rogues have more then likely taken Phoebe. Her friend and friend's mother were pulled out of the wreckage barely breathing, but we have taken precautions to hopefully ensure their survival. They were badly burnt, but the doctors are doing all they can to revive them into full health. The side of the car looks forcibly bent in, leading me to suspect that something smashed into the car, causing it to topple off the road and tumble some way down the mountain. We are lucky that the car managed to ram itself in-between two strong trees, otherwise it would have fallen off the cliff, leading to immediate death for all inside.

My lycan threatens to resurface again at the thought. I can almost feel the beast in me clawing at my insides, begging for release in the form of murder. From the look of the warrior from Lupine Peak's pack next to me, I am guessing my eyes have turned a soulless black, warning all that I am unstable and fighting for control over my lycan; nothing else could inflict such terror. My lycan has been pushed to the edge, what from the rejection of my erasthai to loosing Phoebe, when I was finally ready to claim her. If something has happened to Phoebe, I will never get over it. Just the thought inflicts so much despair I nearly fall to my knees. I must be strong though, for Phoebe's sake.

Two warriors, a couple of trackers and Vincent are by my side observing the immediate forest for clues, trying to determine what to do next. The other occupants in the car have been successfully removed and taken off in an ambulance to hospital. I hope that they will survive.

"Alex!" Vincent calls, making me rush to his side without hesitation.

"What?" I snap, my heart pounding relentlessly.

"Is this Phoebe's blood?"

Spotting the red droplets smoothly sliding down the little green plant ignites a thirsty rage for blood in me like no other, but as I deeply inhale I force myself to relax as I know this is my sweet Phoebe's scent. Without a word, I dart off in the direction her scent is pulling me in, vaguely aware of the pounding paws from Vincent and the others behind me. I do not allow myself to shift, as I know I will loose it and not be able to revert back. Just her fading scent is enough for hope to blossom in my chest like the first flowers of spring, and relax me a little. But as soon as the hope is born, it dies as I loose her scent.

"No! No! No, no, no!" I yell, turning in circles willing to do anything to capture that small glimmer of Phoebe again.

I can't lose her. Not now.

"Brother, calm down." Vincent tries to coax me out of my vulnerable state.

I feel my claws start to elongate, and the veins around my eyes thicken and darken, as I pant in rage. Rage that Phoebe is gone. Rage that it is my fault. Rage that I cannot help her. Rage that someone has hurt and taken what is mine. Rage, rage, rage.

"We'll go to the alpha. You know he will give you his best resources to find her. We won't rest till she's found." Vincent vows.

"Of course I won't rest." I hiss. "She's gone and it's my fault... if only I'd claimed her at the beginning... then, then she wouldn't have been leaving... and s-she would be here right n-now." I stumble over my words and fall to my knees, my head melancholily hanging.

"Alex it's not your fault. You cannot blame yourself. If it were the rogues plan to take her, they would have found a way. What matters now is you be strong for Phoebe. Don't succumb to the darkness Alex, you're stronger then this."

After a few minutes of despair, panting until my breathing evens, I reflect on Vincent's words and know that he is right. I have to be strong for Phoebe; it is the only way I will get her back.

"Let's go to the alpha." I murmur, and then sprint off in the direction of his house.

In less then five minutes we arrive outside the alphas cabin, attached to his pack house. I walk in without knocking, instantly noticing the brightly lit lounge from the ceilings large windows allowing the sun to trickle in. The cabin has a very rustic feel, and is large and spacious; however, I do not have time to admire the house as I am on a mission to find Phoebe. I erupt into the Alphas office, not caring how rude or disrespectful I am being.

"Alpha Maddox, they've taken Phoebe." I growl.

"What?" The older man jumps up from behind his sleek wooden desk at my unexpected entry.

If I were anyone else, I would be punished for so rudely and unexpectedly intruding in on the alpha, but as a Lycan I am his superior, as well as royalty, meaning he cannot do anything but sit himself back down and wait to see what I have to say. The tick of annoyance in his jaw does not escape my attention though. The alpha himself looks more like an ox then a man, with such large hands and fingers I wonder how he manages to type on his keyboard. He is slightly taller then me when standing erect, at six foot six.

"Phoebe... my girl. She was taken by the rogues." I stress impatiently.

"I see." The alpha murmurs, pulling at the hairs of his thick beard.

"Well, do you have any idea where she could be? What to do?" I ask helplessly, swiftly running out of patience.

"Well... we do have one suspicion of where the rogues might be hiding out, but we don't have the resources to check and attack." The alpha begins.

"Well? Where is it?" I ask, my hands shaking with the adrenaline running through my body.

"Well on the other side of the mountain, just outside the boundary line of Lupine Peak, there is an abandoned lab. We have been picking up movement from satellites – of course, it could just be human lodgers, but I am wondering whether this could be the rogues hiding place. In 1976, human scientists were experimenting on animals and humans for a cure for the Ebola virus, which was just discovered. The Ebola virus and the malnutrition of rogues are similar. Ebola is a deadly disease caused by a virus, which after entering the body, it kills cells, making some of them explode. It wrecks the immune system, causes heavy bleeding inside the body, and damages almost every organ." The alpha exhales unhappily.

"This is what happens to rogues, as their bodies are shutting down. There were rumours at the time that the scientists were able to find a cure, but it was never released to the public and the whole operation was shut down when it was revealed that they were using inhumane methods to experiment – such as healthy people's brain fluid, which ultimately caused them to die. I thought all their research was destroyed, but now I am wondering whether it is possible that some survived. If a cure was made... then it is possible that the rogues found it and that is what's making them unusually strong. The labs were forgotten about and are dilapidated, and to my knowledge forgotten and no ones been there for thirty years." The Alpha finishes.

"Where is this building?" I ask, knowing that if there is the slightest chance Phoebe might be there, I cannot waste a second in finding her.

Please vote and comment if you are enjoying this story!! ❤️❤️

Edited