Prologue #3: The History Lesson

7 years ago

7 years ago...

Artemis knew that she would be lying to herself if she said she would never visit her darling Luna Phoebe again. She could not bring herself to fade back into the darkness; now that she had had a taste of the light, she was addicted. She had had a crumb, but now she wanted the whole cake. By having some contact with her beautiful child, it helped her to move on and accept life for how it was. Although she could not be a human completely, there were no laws from stopping Gods and Goddesses visiting Earth in their heavenly form, although it is practically unheard of in the 21st century.

Humans now call the higher creatures 'myths' and 'legends', with no true grounding beliefs. However, how can you believe in something that you do not have evidence of existing? After the Great War of the Gods, in consequence of an angel mating with a daughter of Adam, producing giants on Earth, for thousands of years no one has dared to descend from the heavens, eager to never again tip the fragile scales into a war. There were heavy losses on both sides, whether you fought for the right to live with the humans or to ban it.

Not only were there losses in heaven, but also losses on Earth. Humans were on the brink of extinction. Out of compassion to the dying race, Artemis bound the strongest of the human survivor's souls to that of wolves. Wolves were fierce and strong protectors in her eyes, and she had studied them for centuries, as they were fascinating to her. They were also dying out because of the war that dripped out of heaven and onto the earth, which caused freak storms obliterating their natural habitats and food sources. What she didn't expect to happen was for the wolves and human's bodies to bind together, creating what was later to be called a Werewolf.

The first lycan was created when a strong young wolf transformed into a human, but was still more wolf then human. His wolf side dominated his human soul, creating a deadlier, more advanced combination. He was more lethal, powerful, and dominant then the other werewolves. He could transform into his lycan at any time (not only on the full moon), and was much stauncher then the others. Bestowed upon him was the name 'Ulric', meaning power of the wolf. The humans and other wolves submitted to him, accepting him as King. Every thing was fine until he chose a partner, a weak human girl called Milada. Tragically she died in childbirth, which sent Ulric insane. He attacked humans and wolves alike, searing his blazing anger upon them. When he realised what he had done, he ran away deep into the forest, and was never seen again. The humans, fear over-marking their awe, banished the remaining wolves into the forest, threatening them with silver which was their known weakness.

Ulrich and Milada's baby survived, and was taken with the wolves. He grew up to be a lycan, and to prevent the same tragedy from ever happening again, Artemis enchanted the lycans chosen partner to transform into a Lycan as well once they accepted the bond, meaning that they would be compatible. It was also made sure that producing Lycan offspring was indeed much harder then producing human or werewolf offspring, so that the population was kept down. Too many lycans roaming around would be disastrous, as each would try to hegemonize over the other.

As the years went on humans forgot about the lycan and werewolf's true existence, as they stayed hiding in the shadows of the forests and mountains. They merely became folklore. As the population grew, the wolves split up, forming packs. Different families travelled to different areas, meaning that Artemis' creation spread out around the earth. Soul mates were invented for werewolves as well as lycans, as the same problems happened when a were choose a human that was too weak to be bonded to them for life. Were's also lived a good fifty years longer than humans, and when their chosen mate died before them there was all sorts terrible of troubles, which usually had the only resolution of killing the surviving mate.

In 1703 many were's died from rivers being polluted with silver, which was their main drinking source. As a result, many packs had to band together for protection against hunters and other beings preying on them. During these times werewolves had become a lot more civilised, and easily passed as humans apart from when there was a full moon. A surviving Alpha of the Midnight Lupus pack, a distinctive pack with all dark coloured wolves located in Canada, brought a development property site and built a village for his pack members. As the years went on the village turned into an exclusive town, and was known to the humans, but for reasons unknown to them, none of them could actually find houses to live there.

Surrounded by forests it was a perfect place for the werewolves to live civilly, but also able to be themselves. Other packs followed in this development, making life a whole lot better for them. Shops, schools, hospitals and more were created in the towns, leading to luxury ways of life. Eventually humans moved into areas near the towns, and some even sent their children to the high schools. Not all werewolves had to live in packs; they could associate with humans, but they had to be enrolled in a pack, as if there was no record of someone belonging to a particular pack, then they were branded as rogues – criminals.

Lycan's were still uncommon, but not as rare as they had been. They preferred to band off in little groups of eight or less, rather than having large packs. Lycan's were private, intimate beings. They only got close to those who they were sure they could trust. Most lycans were somehow connected to royalty, and if they weren't, they were treated as such. Although over the years they had gained control over their emotions, and were not as primal as they used to be, they were still much more temperamental than Were's, and everyone had a healthy dose of respect (masked fear) for them.

You do not want to get on a Lycans bad side.

Ricky and his children (Bella, Tammy and Phoebe), live near a pack of werewolves, called the Silver Crescent Pack. Each wolf in this pack has a marking over their heart of a silver crescent. If a Silver Crescent wolf's mate turned out to be a human, then once they have mated the marking would appear over their heart. The three girls were enrolled at the local schools, where werewolves and humans alike went to. Wolves do not obtain their strength or wolf until they hit puberty, which means they are able to go to grade and middle school, but attend high school with their local pack. However, Phoebe was noticeably stronger and more dominant then the other children her age, even with the enchantment placed on her. This often led her into trouble.

Artemis visited Phoebe when her speed and strength got the best of her, and she accidentally knocked a boy out who was mean to her, by pushing him over with a little bit too much force. Phoebe lay sobbing in her bed, hugging her sister Tammy who tried to console her after she was hysterical thinking she had killed someone.

Artemis manipulated Tammy's mind into believing she needed the toilet desperately, making her vacate Luna Phoebe's room. Artemis then hugged her ten-year-old daughter, and went on to explain the history of Lycans and werewolves to her, explaining why she is so different to others her age. Phoebe listened closely, fascinated about what she was learning.

"Mummy will I be a werewolf one day?" Phoebe asked excitedly.

"No darling, you will be a lycan. In order to turn into one, you will need to find a lycan mate. Do you remember what a mate is?" Artemis asked her child.

"Your boyfriend that will love you forever?"

"Yes that's right darling. You will need to find a lycan boy in order to become one yourself."

"I promise I will find the most handsome one ever mummy! It will be my quest!" Phoebe exclaimed, giggling in delight.

And this is what we find her in the middle of doing, in present day.

***

Edited