Chapter 20 - My Very Own Delicious Personal Trainer

There are many things I want to do with my life

There are many things I want to do with my life. I want to go to China. I want to go to Bora Bora. I want to go scuba diving in the beautiful crystal-clear waters of the Caribbean. I want to go on a hot air balloon ride over the awe-inspiring planes of Africa. I want to start an ape farm for those poor misunderstood babies. However, right now, I want to comfort Alex, whose stony face and tense muscles shout wonders as to how upset and angry he is. He will not look me in the eye, but I cannot stop staring at him, noticing the darkness swirling around in his usually vibrant orbs, that only gets incessantly murkier as his eyes rake over my different injuries. It almost feels like he cares about me in some odd, unspoken way.

I woke up five minutes ago with my hand, legs and head all bandaged up, and Alex watching me tenderly, almost fully on my bed in a protective stance, as if he is shielding me from danger. Tammy is also here, and envelopes me into a warm hug.

"I was so worried about you Phoebe! Are you ok?" She asks frantically.

"I'll be fine Tammy... just sore and tired." I sigh quietly, half-heartedly hugging her back.

"Do you need anything?" She asks as she pulls away.

"It's fine Tammy. I've got it now." Alex grunts out, his eyes never leaving my own.

  "Are you sure you're ok?" Tammy asks worriedly, not wanting to leave me.

"Yes Tammy. I know you are taking the evening shift tonight, so go. Besides, Alex will look after me." I shrug nonchalantly, not wanting to hurt Tammy's feelings, but secretly wanting to be left alone to think.

"Ok, well if you need anything don't hesitate to call me. I'm only going to be fifteen minutes away, tops." Tammy stresses before kissing me softly on the head, and exiting the room.

She knows that I am going to be fine because of my wolf genes. I can barely feel the scratches in my legs now, and I can move my hand with almost no pain. Glancing down, I see that someone changed me into a baggy white t-shirt, which is hanging off my left shoulder, and a pair of loose fitting sweatpants. I flinch as Alex suddenly reaches out to touch my hand.

"What's wrong? Am I hurting you?" Alex questions me with a frown, pulling my attention back to him.

I guess he is checking my wounds. I am nearly completely healed now, but he does not need to know that. I could get used to his soft caresses and compassionate assertiveness. Needless to say, he does not look like a very happy bunny right now, which is kind of upsetting. I have this unfathomable desire to make him happy, and care for him as he is caring for me... but that will never happen.

That is what couples do.

And we will never be one of those.

Never say never.

"Phoebe?" Alex prods again; cupping my delicate face into his large hands and making me look him in the eye.

"I'm fine."