kim hanbin - "rain"

au where rain is the only weather that brings out the boy you've been crushing on for ages.

a strong scent of coffee filled your nostrils as you wiped your feet on the mat placed in front of the coffee shop. with just your wet closed umbrella and damp windbreaker, you went to go sit down in the corner, a usual spot for you on rainy days much like this one.

you didn't feel like ordering your drink yet. you just needed to soak in the atmosphere. it was so weird how the former sunny day was just gone in a matter of seconds. what started out as light rain turned into harsh bullets that you couldn't escape from. luckily you had already brought an umbrella to block you from the sun and the windbreaker was just simply a choice in fashion.

a waitress came up to you and somehow startled you with the simple question, "ma'am what would you like to order?"

you jumped a bit and recomposed yourself. which involved taking a deep breath and clearing your throat, "uhm i'll take a caramel macchiato with an english muffin."

the waitress bowed and scurried off to the counter placed beautifully in the middle of the shop. it was so weird to think that one person could love this design with all their heart. maybe it was because your dad and mom designed it when they were in high demand architects. 

when they died it felt like a little piece of them was left behind for you to pass by and visit every day. but of course, that was just your opinion and your grandmother thought otherwise, /tear the place down! the wallpaper there is so ugly!' but you wouldn't allow it to happen, tradition and all. 

your somber thoughts were interrupted by a stranger who slid into the booth you were sitting in and just said, "please just let me stay here till she passes."

you quirked your eyebrows at the stranger and were going to begin asking him questions. but a crying young woman stormed into the shop and looked filled with rage. with each step she took the ground seemed to shake; she questioned each table. when she had finally got to yours the young man's figure shrunk.

"do you know where this man is?" she shrieked while shoving a picture from her phone into your retinas. you pushed the phone away from you and blinked away from her to regain your eyesight. 

you shoke your head to signal a no. she huffed and pointed at the boy across from you, "then who the fuck is that?"

you stood up from the booth and pointed your finger to the door. "get out right now. you're disturbing everyone here. especially my boyfriend and i on our d-date." 

the girl crossed her arms and looked at you unamused, "i will have the manager remove YOU if you don't stop talking to me like that."

you cleared your throat and smiled, "let me go get her."

the lady humped in somewhat triumph, "yeah you better."

your hand slid into your pocket and you placed your badge on yourself, "hi i'm the manager (y/n)! how may i help you?"

the crazy lady was taken aback and scoffed, "you can't be serious."

you smiled wider, "oh you bet i am. and if you don't get out of this cafe this instant then i'll call the cops on you."

she twirled her hair around, like it was going to do something for her, and sauntered out of the cafe.

the boy perked up and looked back to see the demanding erratic woman. he grinned ever so brightly when he heard the bell chime and looked over towards you. you didn't quite get the memo yet so you just sat down and sighed. his eyes burned holes through you and you finally looked back up at him, "yes?"

he leaned over and stuck out his hand for you to shake. "i'm kim hanbin, and you are?"

you glanced down at his hand and then back into his eyes, "i'm (y/n) (l/n). the manager of this establishment." 

hanbin nodded and slid out of the booth gracefully, "well it was nice to meet you miss (l/n). let's hope our next encounter isn't as...well gray as this one."

-

again you sat in the same old booth that you was assigned for you. maybe it was because your legs took you there because it longed for some form of attachment to your parents. they sat there every day to greet the customers and check on how they were doing.

now you may be wondering, how do you own this place if your parents just designed it? you fought for it. plain and simple.

but nevermind that you had some observing to do. it's been three weeks since you've had a chance to properly greet customers and ask them how they like the place. it wasn't as rainy as it was three weeks ago; just a light drizzle here and there. but you could still smell a strong scent of coffee and rain mixing, and thats what you call home. 

you never saw the boy again. or at least you thought, because when the doorbell chimed and you looked up. there he was. 

he strolled in like he owned the place. he didn't go to order, or to browse the menu, or to even use the bathroom. he walked right up to YOUR booth and sat down. "hello" he squealed

you gave him a nonchalant wave, "hi."

he leaned forward, which seemed to be a habit of his, and asked you, "why do you always sit in  this corner?"

you pushed up your glasses and looked out the window. it seemed much easier to ignore his question than give him an answer. because that's the way it always was. you never tried to express your emotions because they were far too burdening for anyone but yourself. or at least that's what you told yourself, self-sabotage right to the end.  

hanbin raised his eyebrows in annoyance. then his expression softened when he saw how unsettled you looked with the outside of the cafe. "does rain really look that ugly to you?"

you nodded and turned your head to look him in the eyes, "my parent died in the rain."

he was taken aback by the sudden response, "oh. well i mean you can always find beauty in the pain."

you shook your head in disdain and looked back outside the window, "that's what everyone said when they died. that's the only words i could and would hear for the past two years. so i became fed up with it all. i fought for this place and this was the only beauty in the pain."

hanbin chuckled at your response and reached out for your hand. he intertwined them, "i can become your beauty in the pain. although rare, i only appear in the rain."

and that was the start to a journey you could never and would never forget.

word count: 1.65k