Chapter 11

On Bella’s birthday, Dad was insistent upon waking her up with gifts. We took her the gifts, a camera from Dad, a scrapbook from Renee, and a necklace from me.

“I thought I said no presents,” Bella said. I rolled my eyes, but handed her the necklace anyways. It was a simple diamond heart.

“Thanks. It’s really pretty,” she said. I nodded and she continued on to Dad’s present.

“18. It’s so old,” I joked.

“I don’t think 18 is that old,” she said.

“I don’t know, Bells. Is that a gray hair?” Dad asked. I never saw Bella move faster as she jumped out of bed and looked at her mirror. Dad and I both started laughing at her.

“It was not that funny,” she said.

“Yeah, Bells, it was,” I said before heading up to my room to get dressed for school that day.

I pulled on a pair of black skinny jeans and a maroon sweater. I braided my hair over my shoulder and bobby pinned the back to keep it in place. I smiled as I noticed the dyed ends of my chocolate brown hair.

A few months ago, I finally got Dad to allow me to dip dye my hair with a bright pink. It was only a few inches though, because I had to bleach it out in order to get the pink to be noticable. Well, it might have helped that I lost a bet to Embry, which Dad felt I needed to pay up on.

“Hey, I've got some cold cases I have to work on since Bella is apparently going to Cullen's for her birthday,” Dad said as I walked through the kitchen on my way out.

“So I'll be here alone,” I said, rolling my eyes. “Why’re you letting her go with him?”

“So she stays,” he said. I nodded and grabbed an iced coffee and an apple.

“That's the breakfast of champions right there,” Dad joked.

“Well, I didn't sleep worth a crap last night,” I said, holding up the coffee and shrugging. “As for the apple, uh, I don't actually have a reason.”

“Really?” He asked while laughing.

“Ha, you can't yell at me if you're laughing,” I said, doing a very ridiculous victory dance. “I gotta go before I'm late to the STEM meeting.”

“STEM?” he asked.

“Science, technology, engineering, and math,” I said. “I'm coding our robot for the competition that I know we talked about.”

“Yeah, I remember,” he said. “Have fun.”

“Bye, love you,” I said.

“Bye, love you too,” he said. I skipped out the door and headed off towards school.

After school, I headed home, making enough dinner for three people and eating my portion. I refrigerated the other two portions before turning on the TV and sitting down in front of the game to try and relax. Jake texted me several times, trying to get me to drive down to the rez, but I didn't want to. I was too tired to drive, so he came to see me.

“There she is,” he said, letting himself in.

“Hey Jake,” I said. He sat down beside me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. We stayed there for a minute before Jake physically pulled me to lay down with him.

“How're you doing?” He asked.

“Irritated. Tired. You?” I responded.

“Good, now,” he said. I laid my head on his chest, closing my eyes.

“Jake, you should probably go home,” my dad said, shaking us both awake.

“Yes, sir,” he said, wiping his eyes.

“Bye Jake,” I said. He nodded before leaving the house, almost running Bella over on his way out.

“What happened to your arm?” Dad asked. She had a huge gauze pad covering part of her bicep, and she was no longer dressed in the dress and sweater she'd been wearing when she left.

“Tripped,” she mumbled as she ran upstairs.

“That's bull,” I said. Dad nodded in agreement but sent me to bed without talking about it.

“Night. Love you,” I said. He nodded in response as I headed up to my room. The second I received a text from Jake that he was home, I was out. My after dinner nap apparently did not help to keep me awake.