Chapter 53

Convincing the boys that dancing was worth while took more effort than either Hadley or I anticipated. After a few songs, we did get them convinced that we needed a group to dance with.

"I'm terrible," Jake complained.

"It's all in the hips," Hadley said, reassuringly.

"Dude, we'll just stand with them and let them dance," Seth said.

"Not happening Sunshine," Hadley replied. We led them onto the dance floors and got them to dance to the upbeat pop songs that played until the music slowed down into a slower song.

"Dance with me babygirl?" Jake asked. I nodded, sliding my arms around his neck and letting him attempt to lead the slow dance. I smiled up at him and danced with him happily throughout the song.

"We can leave whenever babe," Jake said.

"I'll keep that in mind," I said. "Let's take a break." We headed over to one of the tables and sat down beside each other, drinking from water bottles as the tempo of the music jumped back to what had been playing before hand.

"How're you feeling beautiful?" Jake asked.

"Amazing," I said. "Dance?"

"Sure," he said. I know that he doesn't like to dance, but I do. I think that's why he does it.

"How late are we staying?" Seth asked as the music paused and our movement stopped temporarily.

"At least until King and Queen announcements are done," I said.

"Cause our favorite cross-school power couple is up for King and Queen," Hadley said. I nodded, hoping beyond all hope that Jake and I won.

After a while more of dancing, we decided to take a break for a minute.

"Alright, here soon, Student Council is going to announce the Homecoming King and Queen," our principal said, stepping onto the dance floor with a wireless microphone.

"However," I said, dreading what was coming.

"We're not going to ruin the mood of the night, but we urge you all to stay safe tonight and protect our community from another tragedy," he said. "But, now, we need all of the candidates for King and Queen on the floor."

I stood up, taking Jake's hand and leading him out with me.

"And, this year's Homecoming King is," he paused dramatically for effect, "Jacob Black."

Jake walked forward, having to bend almost in half to be crowned. I smiled at him, happy for him whether I was crowned next or not.

"And, this year's Homecoming Queen is, drum roll please, Miss Alessandra Swan," he announced. I walked forward, beaming as I was crowned.

"Picture, please," the photographer said. We smiled, posing for a picture together with ease. I smiled as Hadley snuck up behind the photographer and took pictures of us together.

"Alright, and for their dance, a crowd favorite: Speechless by Dan + Shay," the principal announced before the song started to play. We danced together for a minute as Hadley took pictures of us alongside the photographer. After a few moments, everyone else joined us on the dance floor, and our silent dance quickly became rather loudly as every couple began singing the familiar words to one another.

"I love you so much Alessandra Mae," Jake said, leaning down to kiss my lips gently.

"I love you too Jacob Ephraim," I said.

There was maybe twenty minutes left of the dance when we decided to head out to our cabin. As Jake drove, I messaged my dad to let him know where we headed and that Jake and I had won King and Queen. He passed the message along to Sue and Billy and Hadley's Grandma and they were all thrilled and told us to have fun and we'd see them tomorrow when we got home.