Chapter 45

"Babe, if this gets to be too much at any point, please, please, please, let me know. I will happily take you wherever you need to be to be calm and happy and secure," Jake said once he had parked the car in the parking lot at the beach.

"Thanks Jake," I said softly while looking at my hands. It reminded me of moments where I'd look at my hands and not realize they were attached to me. It hadn't happened in a while, but it was a weird memory to have.

"Babe, everything okay?" He asked. I knew without looking that his face held nothing but concern.

"Yeah, everything is fine," I said.

"Are you sure? You haven't been that interested in your hands since you were trying to decide if they were yours or not," he said.

"I know Jake," I said, looking up at him finally. "But, I'm okay now. I promise."

"Seriously, if you need to leave just say the word," he said.

"I know Jake," I said, kissing his lips gently.

"Let's go then," he said as we pulled away from each other. We got out of the car and I immediately ran up behind him and jumped on his back. Luckily, his supernatural aspects kept him on his feet despite the sudden force.

"Really?" He asked as he laughed.

"I just want a piggyback ride," I said, laying my cheek on his shoulder.

"Alright," he said as he began walking down to where Sam had a fire going. Some of the guys were playing a game of soccer, and most of the imprints were sitting around the fire.

"Hey guys," Jake said, greeting everybody at once. Since we were now standing with everyone else, I got Jake to let me down so I  could talk and such.

"There's our favorite straight couple," Embry said. Quil ran over and hugged me tightly.

"Hey Quil," I said softly, holding him as he finally relaxed a little.

"I've been so worried about you," he said.

"I've been worried about you too. I worry about all my friends," I said.

"You're too good for this world Allie-cat," he said, using one of my many, many hated nicknames.

"I might worry a little less about you now," I said.

"Ha ha. Very funny," he said.

"I thought so," Jake said. Quil and Jake started to play fight, so I walked away and let them do their thing.

"Hey girl," I said, sitting down with Kim.

"How's everyone doing?" She asked.

"I think Jake's been more messed up than me. Dad is just drowning himself in it. You know how he gets," I said.

"If you ever want to get away, I will be more than happy to kidnap you," she said, causing me to giggle some.

"Thanks. I'll, uh, I'll keep that in mind," I said.

"Allie, can I talk to you?" Sam asked. I could tell he was trying to keep his voice softer then usual.

"Yeah, sure," I said. "What's up?" I asked as I got up and walked with Sam.

"Um, I, we, all of us, are really happy that you're okay. Now, that being said, I can not ask one of my guys to put his imprint in danger like that ever again. If you'd like, I can get you a spot at the school here on the rez," he said.

"Um, thanks, but I don't really want to transfer right in the middle of my senior year," I said.

"That's totally fine. I just know that Jake would feel safer having you on the rez. I respect your decision anyways. You should know that I've never seen Jake in so much pain before," Sam said. I met his eyes and he was being one hundred percent serious.

"What?" I asked, not understanding what he was trying to say.

"I've never actually seen Jake in that much pain before. When our imprints are in danger, that's the worst stress that a wolf can feel. Now, mix that with the anxiety of not knowing whether you are alive or not. Jake was really messed up that day. This is going to change the two of you a lot," Sam said.

"I know," I said. "But we're going to get through this together because neither of us will make it alone."