Chapter 39

"Babe, wake up. You've gotta eat something," Jake said. I hadn't actually been asleep even though all three believed me to be.

"'M not hungry," I mumbled, cuddling closer to Jake as I wiped my eyes.

"Baby, you've gotta eat something. Just start with a bread stick," Jake said. He grabbed one from the box that was on the coffee table and handed it to me.

"Jake, I'm not hungry," I said again.

"Alessandra, you have to eat," he said.

"Jake, I can't," I said, feeling slightly sick.

"Babe," Jake said. "Try, please, for me."

I took the bread stick from his hand and bit into it cautiously. I chewed slowly, taking as much time as possible to eat the one bread still in hopes that the slow eating would make me feel better. My theory was that if I ate slow enough, my body would adjust to eating and I'd be able to eat again, because, believe me, I was hungry.

"Thank you baby girl," Jake said, kissing my temple as I continued to eat slowly.

"It's not for your benefit, trust me," I said.

"I know you're hungry," Jake said.

"Oh yeah, how?" I sassed him.

"We're soulmates doofus," he said. I rolled my eyes at him dramatically.

"Tell me something I don't know," I said.

"Someone sounds bitter about getting stuck with Jake," Embry joked.

"Thank you," I yelled. "Someone is finally acting like everything is okay instead of just telling me that it will be." I was way too loud when it came to the volume of the statement, but I didn't care. I was just really excited.

"I'm feeling personally attacked right now, and it's not okay," Jake said.

"As you should," I responded.

"Uh huh," he said, pouting like a toddler.

"Stop acting like a two year old and please hand me another bread stick," I said.

"You can't survive solely on bread sticks," Jake said.

"I can try," I said. Quil laughed at me gently, but didn't say anything, which concerned me. I dismissed the concern, deciding he was probably just worried about me. After all, we have been through a whole hecking lot together.

"Babe, you have to eat something besides bread," Jake said. I grabbed a piece of pepperoni off the piece of pizza in his hand and ate it.

"Better?" I asked.

"Much," he said, kissing my cheek gently.

"You missed," I said, tapping my lips quickly. He rolled his eyes dramatically before making a big production of kissing my lips quickly.

"Much better," I said, giggling as Quil and Embry groaned and voiced their opposition to our kiss rather loudly. My phone went off, signalling a text and cutting off all vocals from within the group.

"Let me see it," I said, assuming the text would be Dad. Jake clicked my phone on and read the text before I got the chance to, but I didn't care. It's not like I have anything to hide.

"Yeah, here," Jake said.

"Thank you," I said dramatically before opening my phone.

From: Dad
I'm not going to be home for a while. I have to go to the Hospital and get statements. Bella said she will be down to check on you soon. Carlisle is going to stop by tomorrow and check on you as well. I'm worried about you kid. Love you

To: Dad
Stop worrying. I'm fine. Promise. Quil and Embry came down and we ordered pizza and are just hanging out. I love you too Dad

"Everything okay?" Quil asked softly.

"Bella's on her way here."