Chapter 60

"Where's my girlfriend?" Jake's voice carried from downstairs without him yelling. I stood up from my seat at my vanity and headed down the stairs. As my feet hit the last step, Jake had his arms around me, hugging me tightly.

"Merry Christmas," he said, holding me against his chest tightly.

"Merry Christmas," I said, holding him in return. I could tell something was up but I'd ask about it later. For now he needed to relax and enjoy Christmas with us all.

"So, what time is dinner?" Seth asked.

"You have to quit eating kid," Dad said causing Leah and I to laugh. A knock on the door had Seth running to answer it.

"Jake you have to watch this video," I said, pulling out my phone.

"Is it the one from this morning?" Leah asked causing me to nod. Instantly we both began to laugh as I pressed play on the video of Seth from this morning.

"Guys," Seth whined as he walked into the living room again with his arm around Hadley's waist.

Billy went over and began talking to Hadley's grandmother quietly. The two sat beside each other, Billy in his wheelchair and Hadley's grandmother on the loveseat.

"What's going on there?" I whispered lowly, looking to Jake for an explanation. He shrugged a little and ushered all of us teenagers to take seats around the living room. Dad and Sue joined us, sharing Dad's recliner.

We spent the rest of the morning talking about anything and everything. Sue wanted to plan a girls day for Hadley, Leah, Hadley's grandmother, herself, and me. Hadley's grandmother was more than willing to divulge her past. However, a lot of the topics came back full circle to our futures. Billy asked about plans after high school while Dad was more concerned with when we were all going to get married.

"Do you remember when you two used to swear you'd never date?" Billy asked, looking at Jake and I. Jake had pulled me into his lap and was holding me gently, comforting both of us even though we didn't really need it.

"Yeah," I said, smiling fondly at our memories.

"We've been attached at the hip since we were born, so I guess it only makes sense," Jake said, kissing my forehead.

I closed my eyes, leaning into his chest and absorbing as much of the peace as I possibly could.

"When are we exchanging presents?" Hadley asked excitedly.

"We can do it right now if you like," Sue said. I remained where I was, knowing Dad would get the gifts from us.

"I've got another gift for you babe, just from me," Jake whispered lowly, kissing my temple. I opened my eyes as he slid a ring onto my hand.

"My promise to love you forever and ever," he said. "My promise to marry you when we graduate."

"I love you so much Jake," I said, turning and pressing my lips to his quickly.

"I love you even more Aimes," he said.

We exchanged gifts from each family to an individual. I had gotten Jake a leather bracelet and a hoodie, but they were up in my closet. I just figured I'd give them to him later.

The rest of the day carried on in the same happy manner as the morning had progressed. With all of our broken families coming together, somehow, everything finally felt like it was right in the world. We had our family to spend Christmas with and that's what Christmas is all about.

The highlight of the day, however, was when we convinced Dad and Billy to sing "All I Want for Christmas."