Chapter 20

"Come on, let's go," Jake said. "I'll drive your car."

"Jay, I, what, Jake," I said, stuttering and trying to figure out what I wanted to say.

"Panic?" He asked. I nodded a little. He wrapped his arms around me, allowing me to sob into his chest.

"Shh, breath, breath Aimes, it's okay. In through your nose, out through your mouth," he said, rubbing my back slightly. I forced my train of thought to focus on one thing: breathing.

"Is she okay?" Dad asked, joining us in the kitchen. I didn't have to pull away from Jake's chest to know exactly where Dad was standing. This was definitely not the first time that this scene has played out.

"She will be," Jake said, holding me and breathing deeply so I'd calm down.

"I'm okay," I said, but Jake didn't budge, forcing me to remain tucked in his arms.

"Maybe you two should stay here," Dad said.

"Yeah, I mean, Embry and Paul took Seth and Leah out of the house anyways, so I think it's best," Jake said. Something about that sentence sounded weird to me, but I pushed the thought away.

"What about Sue?" I asked.

"We've got it hon," Dad said. I nodded, leaning my forehead back onto Jake's bare chest. I heard the door open and shut before Jake picked me up bridal style and carried me to my bedroom.

"Why're you doing this?" I asked once he sat me down on the bed.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Why're you acting like you actually like me again? Bella told me you two slept together and I don't wanna be that girl. Especially not since we're sisters," I explained, curling up in a ball.

"One, I never slept with your sister. Hell, I never even kissed her. And, two, what on Earth do you mean you don't wanna be that girl?" He asked.

"You know, the other girl. Like if you're sleeping with Bella don't start acting like you're into me again. I don't care how much you denied it, we were in love before Sam got his claws into you," I said.

"Aimes," he said, rolling his eyes and throwing himself down beside me. "I like you a whole heck of a lot. I'm not sleeping with your sister. And, yes, I've always been into you, but I didn't want to ruin what we had."

"I agree, but things need to be taken slow. Like, super slow. Twenty minutes ago I would've snapped your head off your shoulders given the chance," I said.

"I could tell, and I hope to fix that. I'm sorry for leaving you. I really am. You'll understand soon," he said. "But for now, I put your favorite movie in."

The TV on my wall lit up as Jake hit the power button on the remote. I giggled at the fact that Jake had chosen to play Lilo and Stitch. It had been our go to movie for after scary movies or when one of us was stressed, so the fact that he chose that specific movie was amazing.

"Lay with me?" He asked.

"Ehh, I suppose," I said, laying down on his chest.

Touching his skin was like touching an open flame. He was burning up like he had a fever.

"Jake, why're you so hot?" I asked.

"Aimes, usually compliments don't come in the form of questions," Jake teased.

"I meant like temperature wise dumbass," I said, hitting his shoulder lightly.

"Oh, that?" He asked. "It's nothing. Promise I'm okay."

"You better be," I said, settling in to watch the movie.