Chapter 62

The next morning, Jake woke me up by peppering my face with kisses. I mumbled a complaint about wanting to sleep, so he stopped kissing my face and answered.

"Babygirl, I wanna go out with you today before Sam drags me away to defend those leeches," he said.

"Don't go," I mumbled.

"Oh, yeah, we gotta call them all in for a secret meeting," he said, kissing my cheek one last time before grabbing his phone and laying down beside me. He created a group chat with whoever he thought he could trust and sent out a mass message to them, telling them to meet here at noon.

Dad had become pretty understanding about pack matters now, even if he couldn't exactly know about the pack. He was used to the need to know situations from Bella, and I'd gotten pretty good a feigning innocence. He would probably be at work by then anyways.

"Alright babe, we have the morning to ourselves. Seth is with Hadley, Leah is running patrol and your parents are at work," he said.

"Let's just stay here and cuddle," I said half-heartedly. Truth be told, I was beyond worried about him going off to help the Cullen family wherever they were. The anxiety was already getting to me, and he was right here with me.

We haven't spent much time apart since the shooting, so I don't really know how I'm going to be able to survive without him by my side. In all actuality, I don't think we've been apart more than ten or twelve hours since the shooting. I know we could probably do with some distance, but it's not like we are out here fighting everyday. We argue, sure, everyone does, but Jake and I are two halves of a whole and no amount of time spent together will change that. Sam needs to realize that forcing us apart like this is going to actually kill one of us. Whether that be me, Emily, Hadley, Claire, or Quil, who is being left behind to "protect the tribe." In other words, Sam thinks that he is either too weak to help or too much of a distraction to Embry.

"Babe, what're you thinking about?" Jake asked, his hand resting on my hip as we lay facing one another.

"Just Sam forcing you all away from us. That can't be safe. I'm willing to bet it nearly kills someone," I said. "Probably an imprint."

"You're right doll," Jake said, pressing his lips to my forehead and allowing the kiss to linger. It fell silent in my room until Seth and Hadley showed up, creating a ruckus downstairs that we had to attend to.

When everyone arrived, we sat them all down in the living room and began to discuss what was going on.

"Let me guess. This has something to do with Sam," Quil said, almost spitting the name.

"Baby Boy," Embry said, pulling Quil closer to him to calm him down.

"No, he should be pissed. We all should," Hadley said. No one had explicitly told me that she knew about the pack, but her presence made that knowledge very clear to me.

"He's leaving the imprints here damn near defenseless and worried beyond belief about their wolves," I said.

"Anyways, the point of this little meeting is that I want to divide the pack. Us and them. No wars, no conflict. Just us, under my rule and them under Sam's. I am the born alpha and I can not continue to follow him like a lost puppy," Jake said.

Within minutes, the decision had been reached. These five wolves would split off and become their own pack under the natural born leader. We knew this would cause problems, but Jake, Quil, and the Clearwater siblings were all direct descendants of the tribal elders.