Chapter 27

"Aimes," Jake said softly, gaining my attention. He was wiping the sleep from his eyes with his left hand.

"I'm here Jake," I said.

"Can I sit up?" He asked. I looked at Dr. Cullen, who had yet to leave, in search of an answer.

"Be careful," he said. Jake nodded before trying to sit up. I jumped to my feet, moving to help him as much as possible.

"I'm good," he said.

"You sure?" I asked.

"Well, I'm hungry, but yes, I'm good," he said.

"I'll go have Becca bring you some food. Maybe start explaining," Billy said before leaving the room with Dr. Cullen.

"I can't wait until you're healed so I can kick your ass for giving me a heart attack Jacob Ephraim," I said, sitting down so I was facing him.

"I deserve that," he said.

"Trust me. I know," I said. "You also owe me an explanation."

"Yes, I know," he said. "But I owe you an apology first. I ditched you for Bella and I shouldn't have. I never should have left you like I did. I should've been the one there to comfort you when Embry and Quil joined up, but I wasn't. I'm really sorry Aimes. I hope you can forgive me."

"Of course I can Jake. I'm not heartless, and I miss you more than you know. It physically hurts me to be fighting with you, but I was too stubborn to make up without a real apology," I said, fidgeting with the hem of my shirt.

"I should probably explain what happened," Jake said.

"You think maybe," I said.

"Not if you're gonna be mean," he said.

"Fine, okay, I won't," I said, smiling at him slightly.

"So you should be hearing about this at a bonfire, so just imagine that, okay?" He said, causing me to giggle. "Aimes, seriously. Okay, so the Quileute people have always had magic in their blood. In the beginning we were great spirit warriors. There was one who's name I don't remember that was killed while his soul was out of his body, so he convinced a wolf to share his body. Well, then, since there was a human soul in the wolf body, the wolf transformed into a human, but remained able to transform back into a wolf. Now, skip a few hundred years and a couple of generations to me. I have the gene that allows my people to transform into the mighty wolf. In other words, I turn into a wolf. We were created to destroy vampires, but, because of your sister, last night we fought alongside the Cullen's. Leah was attacked, and I chose to save her. A vampire crushed half my body. I'm sorry this is the first time you're hearing about this, but it's how it had to be."

"Seriously?" I asked, still stunned about it all.

"Yes, seriously," he said. "I know it's a lot to take in, but you deserve to know more than Bella."

"Thank you for telling me Jake," I said. "It means a lot."

"There's more hon. When a wolf finds his soul mate, he imprints on him or her. It's no longer gravity holding him to the earth, it's this other person. The wolf would do anything, be anything that his imprint needs. Well, we imprint too, and Alessandra, I imprinted on you," Jake said.

"On the beach that day when we made eye contact," I said, wanting clarification.

"Yes, the day on the beach when I had to take off. I was still out of control. I had to go so I didn't hurt you more," he said.

"Thanks Jake," I said softly. "For telling me."

"Of course Allie," he said, and was cut off by the door opening.