30|| Lolita

Lolita
U're sweeter
But U'll never make a cheater out of me

Prince's POV

"Oh, hey. I wasn't expecting to hear from you this early," I spoke quietly into the receiver, my brows furrowed slightly. Honestly, I wasn't expecting to hear from anyone right now. But, I was curious about why they were calling.

"I know it's late, but I didn't have anyone else to talk to," A light sniffle could be heard as her soft voice answered immediately. I sighed, placing the empty ring box on the nightstand next to the phone. I knew better than to entertain this, but something in the tone of her voice made me stop myself from telling her the words that would get her off the phone.

Maybe I'll just find out what she wants and tell her I have to go?

Yeah, i'll do that. I'll make it quick.

"Mayte, I'm glad that you called, but I have to ask, how did you get this number?" I remember asking for her number so we could talk about her possibly joining the next tour once things were established, but I don't recall giving her this room number or any other information. A light, nervous giggle escaped her lips.

"Rosie...she um...she let me know where you all were staying. It's not her fault though, I told her I needed to speak with you about this tour Tony was telling me about. Which is true, but-."

"Let me stop you right there," My voice dropped an octave lower than it's normal tone. I glanced over my shoulder, meeting Amelie's curious gaze. The corners of my mouth lifted, reassuring her that everything is fine. At least, that was my intention. She smiled back, half-heartedly, her eyes never leaving mine. Letting out a shaky breath, I turn away, bringing myself back to the conversation at hand, "All I wanted when I asked you for your number was to talk to you about the tour. Nothing else. So, if you're calling to-."

"Oh no, I wasn't-," There was a brief pause on the other line as she drew in a soft, shaky breath, "I just thought that we'd get to know each other a little better since I'm going to be joining you on tour, but if I'm overstepping boundaries, please let me know."

Inhaling slowly, I closed my eyes, feeling my chest tighten slightly as I took a moment to think about it.

Was she really overstepping boundaries just because she wanted to get to know someone she'd be working with?

"Mayte...I-."

"It's okay...I shouldn't have called this early anyway. I'll let you get some rest."

The dial tone greeted me before I could even respond to her. Or at least had a chance to. This wasn't the first time a woman hung up on me, and it probably wouldn't be the last, but I had to admit, it kind of bothered me.

"Who was that?" At the sound of Amelie's soft, sweet voice, I turned to face her, probably looking like a deer caught in headlights. My cheeks felt warm as I debated whether or not I should tell her the truth. She wasn't particularly fond of Mayte and if she knew it was her I wouldn't hear the end of it.