Chapter 6

"F*CK!"

"Edward, kalma lang okay?," Marco consoling Edward.

"Bakit parang malas yata ako lately?"

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing has gone right. Yung search ko kay Yam, wala pa ring nangyayari hanggang ngayon. Now, this...I spoke too soon! Mukhang made-delay nga ang beta testing natin."

"Don't worry, kaya natin yan."

"Hay! I don't know, Marco. Yung investors natin baka mag-back-out."

"Actually Edward, we don't need them. Between the two of us, we can do it."

"Well, see. I don't want to change it back to our previous interface. Mas user friendly ito. And the added features! Para kang may built-in secretary on the palm of your hand...for a minimal fee, of course. Win-win."

"How about we hire an additional programmer? Contract basis lang, for this app."

"No, Marco. We're still in the development stage. Wala pa tayong patent for this. Baka makuha natin corporate spy, worst, nakawin lahat ng pinaghirapan natin."

"Hmmm. You're right. Lunch time na pala. Do you wanna eat out?"

"If you have a lunch date with Celine, go ahead. Dito na lang ako."

"Okay, bro. Be back in an hour."

"Jane, can you order lunch for me and the technical staff? Include yourself sa headcount. Get their orders, please. Mine's the same as yesterday. I'll eat my lunch in my office. Thank you."

Edward ended the call and spoke to the technical team.

"Guys, lunch break muna, my treat. Jane will order for you. Talk to her what you want. I'll be in my office. Resume tayo at 2 p.m."

"Yes, boss." "Thank you, sir!"

Edward went to his office. He sat on his chair and thought of what Marco had said.

Do we really need another programmer? But, at what cost? If we hire one, sino?! Saka, it will take time to pick the best. Mahahati pa yung time namin instead of focusing on the development of app.

Oh, sh*t! Tonight is the gala. I wonder what will Marco say if I don't go. Besides, PR is not my forte. It's his. And, my family might be there. Hmmm...what to do?

---------

Marydale saw the guests the moment she opened the door of her parent's house.

Hmmm...this is an ambush. Mama, what have you done?!

"Oh, here she is. Come here Marydale, I'd like you to meet our guests," her mom said.

"Marydale, I'd like you to meet Mr. And Mrs. Barber. And their son." Her father introduced the guests.

"Nice to meet you, sir, ma'am." She extended her hand but Mrs. Barber ignored her hand and hugged her.

"Please call me Tita Angie. You're right, Loraine, your daughter is lovely."

"Thank you, po."

"And polite. You raised her well. You can call me Uncle Darwin." Mr. Barber hugged her, as well. He introduced his son, "This is my son, Ethan."

"Nice to meet you, Ethan."

"The pleasure is mine. My parents are right. You're beautiful." He hugged Marydale, too.

"Okay, now that we're complete, let's have lunch. It's already served," Loraine said.

At the table, Marydale was seated between her mother and Ethan. She kept glancing beside her to observe him.

Ethan is too good-looking. Like EJ
But well-mannered. Unlike EJ

Here you go again, Marydale. Bakit palagi mo sinisingit si EJ? Miss mo ba?

Hala sya, advance mag-isip. Once pa nga lang na-meet. Kausapin mo na lang kaya si Ethan?

Marydale has a habit of talking to herself. In her mind only, of course. She decided to start a conversation with Ethan.

"So, what made you decide to go to the Philippines?"

"Business, mostly. I don't want to bore you with details but our fathers are thinking of partnering up for hotel operation."

"Oh. I see. Are you moving here permanently?"

"That is still undecided. What about you?"

"I work for my father. I'm still trying to find my niche. Last month, I was training under promotions department. This month, operations naman. You can understand Filipino, right?"

"Yes, but sometimes, I have a hard time understanding some words."

"A few more months of stay here and you'll be fluent."

"Marydale, you can go to the gala with Ethan," Tita Angie cut in.

"WHAT?!"

"Do you have a problem of being my date in the gala?" Ethan asked.

"Ooopps! I said that out loud, didn't I?"

Ethan laughed with his parents and hers. "You're funny. Please be my date?"

Not the puppy eyes! Mygahd. Ampogi talaga. Behave, Marydale.

"Mama, what about the auction?"

"Don't worry, hija. Leave it to Ethan," Tita Angie replied.

"Yes, leave it to me. So Marydale, please be my date?"

"Yes."