Chapter 9

"Have you seen her yet? Look closely."

I just read my email message from the same unknown email address. Yes, unknown 'coz I checked. I wondered if this is the same one who made my Yam disappeared. Hmmmmm.

The auctioneer was saying something about lady #4. Right off the bat, I knew she was not my Yam. Different coloring, different physique. The same could be said for the first three ladies.

I looked around to see if one of the guests was the one sending me these emails. Everyone was focused on the stage. The others who were not, were still eating. I called the wait staff hovering nearby.

"Scotch, please."

"How about something to eat, sir?"

"Ok. I'll have steak, medium well. Or, whatever it is you're still serving. Thank you."

"Steak it is, Sir. Be right back."

After that, I scanned the ballroom again. This time, hoping to see my estranged family. I missed them. Whatever grudge or hurt I harbored before was long gone. I could understand their sentiments now that I have matured.

I found my family sitting near the front. They were with three older couples and the seat next to my brother was vacant.

I studied my father. He still looked well but less grouchy. My mother was laughing with the lady beside her. And my brother was listening intently to the conversation between my father and another gentleman.

Five years have passed. I'm not sure if they want to see me again. I stayed in my seat and waited for the food to arrive.

I was enjoying my food and half listening to Marco when I received another email message.

Get ready, she's next. She will be auctioned last. By the way, you're welcome.

I looked around hoping to see the culprit but everyone was focused on the stage this time.

"...She graduated cum laude at the University of the Philippines with a bachelor's degree in Business Administration. Let's welcome her on the stage, Marydale Entrata!" The auctioneer said with glee.

Ok, bring it on!

---------

I'm having a panic attack! Seriously! They're all looking at me. Why oh why ako ang last?! Too much pressure. Marydale, inhale...exhale. Good, it's working. More pa.

I smiled at the crowd, at the same time, looked at our table. I saw Ethan giving me a thumbs up. My parents and his were clapping very loudly.

Ok, I can do this. Besides, bahala na si Ethan. He promised. If not, dating gawi. Buti na lang dala ko checkbook ko.

The auctioneer opened up the bidding, "Ok gentlemen, the bidding starts at P10,000. Ok, table #12. Anyone higher? P20,000! Goes to the gentleman at table #18. P50,000 from the gentleman here at the front table.

That's our table. Thank you, Ethan.

"P100,000 from the gentleman at the back, table #38." The auctioneer excitedly announced the bid.

Ethan raised his hand and bid for P120,000. It was countered by the same man with P150,000. My eyes were getting bigger and bigger. The two were now on a bid for P300,000.

Jusko! Mapipilitan yata ako makipag-date ng wala sa oras sa lalaking di ko kilala sa likod. Ethan, iligtas mo ako, please.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the bid for Miss Entrata is half a million pesos. Our biggest bid for tonight. Again, on behalf of this charity, I would like to thank your generous hearts and pockets." The auctioneer chuckled. He looked beyond ecstastic.

Huh? Sino pala nanalo?!