Chapter 13

I wake up earlier than usual. It is only 6 a.m. I can't sleep well knowing my Yam is sleeping in the room just beside mine. In fact, if I unlock the connecting door, I can see her right now.

Last night, I hid in my room despite my parents' protest. They already knew that the two of us were acquainted in an unusual circumstance. They understood my reason for being hesitant to tell Yam everything about me.

Everyone is still asleep except for a few household staff preparing breakfast.

I head straight to the pool. There, I can think clearly and strategize like I always did when I was a kid. I only have a couple of hours before Ethan invades my solitude.

For an hour, I enjoy my swim and peace before I hear a sound coming from Yam's room.

Ah, she's awake but I'm not ready for her to see me.

I get out of the pool and sit on one of the lounge chairs. My position is hidden from someone above, which is Yam's balcony. I can hear her talking to someone.

"Sige, gusto ko yan. So, how's Ethan?"

"Okay naman, Bes. Mabait, gentleman, maalaga..."

"But he's not EJ."

"Yes, he's not EJ. Come to think of it, para siyang older version ni EJ eh. Different eye and hair color lang."

She's talking about Ethan and me? I listen again to their conversation.

"...So, sa dream ko, someone kissed me again. Peck lang. Tapos I heard two people talking. You know what's strange? Bosses ni EJ ang narinig ko Bes."

I remember what she is talking about. Yesterday, after I kissed her, Ethan suddenly entered the room. Good thing I was not caught. He told me to join him in the main sitting area in the jet to talk about Yam.

"I want us to have an equal footing," he started, "so I'm giving you this day as a reprieve. Tomorrow, you have to show yourself to Marydale and do what you need to do to court her."

"Thanks, Ethan." I said sarcastically.

He continued, "because after tomorrow, after she gets her rest, I'm inviting her to a trip to Paris."

"No, you won't." I protested.

"Yes, I will. Whether you like it or not, as long as she agrees."

"What are you doing?!" Ethan, again, interrupts my recollection of yesterday's events.

"Sssshhhh! She's up and she can hear us." I point my fingers to the balcony.

"Whatever. You're joining us for breakfast. Get ready."

I gather my things and go to my room. I use a different stairs this time so that I won't meet her accidentally on my way up.

I take my time in the shower. Ethan can kiss my @ss! After thirty minutes in the bathroom, I get out and put on some clothes - a pair of denim jeans, short sleeved shirt with collar and tennis shoes.

I take a peek of the pool area from my balcony. I can see that Ethan and Yam are already seated and about to start their breakfast.

Okay, this is it!

I will my feet to leave the room and go downstairs. As I reach them, I stop behind Yam and I listen to their conversation. They still have not seen me.

"...She wanted to have girls but she gave birth to two sons. Ironic, no?"

"Oh, here's my brother. EJ come here! You're late. We went ahead and started eating."

I see Yam's reaction when she hears my name from my brother. She stills and very slowly, she stands. She turns to face me.

Her reaction is comical but she still looks anxious. Her eyes become bigger and bigger then they roll. And suddenly, she faints. Again. Good thing I move quickly to catch her. I look at my brother and shout at him angrily.

"I told you she's not ready! You always do want you want."

He stands and tries to get to Yam.

"You've done enough, Ethan. I'll take it from here."

I carry her to her room and put her on the bed, cover her with a blanket and sit on the chair beside her. I hold her hand and wait.

One hour has passed and she still hasn't woken up.