Chapter 8

We're here at the gala already. The ballroom of the hotel was decorated with elegance and sophistication. Some would say that it matched the glam and glitter every guests displayed with their gowns and jewelries. I would say that it matched if not rivaled some very known galas held every year in the country.

We found our parents mingling with other guests when we arrived. The host asked us to take our seats for the dinner and after that, the auction would start.

Ethan led me to our table. We were joined by my parents and his, a couple and two seats remained vacant for guests that hadn't arrived yet.

"Ethan, I'll just go to the powder room to freshen up." I told Ethan after we had our dinner.

"Do you need me to accompany you?"

"No. It's okay. I'll be right back. Excuse me." I said to the other occupants of the table when I stood up.

Inside the ladies room, I took off my mask and turned my head when I heard a sound.

Oh. Meron lang dumaan to the gents room. Wag kang paranoid, Marydale. This building is secure.

When I got back to our table, the host was starting to call the ladies to go to the backstage. I excused myself, again, and followed the other ladies.

When we were at the backstage, I greeted some of the girls I recognized from last year. One of them was Celine.

"Hi, Celine!" I waved at her. She walked to me and kissed my cheek. I returned the gesture.

"Hi, Marydale! Long time no see. What are you up to?"

"Work. I started working in our company two months ago. Ikaw?"

"Well, I'm taking a sabbatical. Stressful ang college so after I graduated, I told my parents that I would start working after a year. Okay lang naman sa kanila."

"Good for you. Travel?"

"Yes. Two months ago I was in Italy where I met my boyfriend."

"Really? I'm happy for you."

"Thank you. Actually, siya ang magbi-bid sakin. Buti na lang. Nakakatakot din minsan yung makaka-date dito 'no? Last year, thank God I brought my bodyguard..."

"Oh my God!"

"It's okay. I just charged it to experience na lang. So, are you ready?"

"Not really but I think ok naman magbi-bid sakin. Family friend so kampante na ako."

"That's good to hear. At least we're safe tonight."

We were called on to the stage one by one. We were not allowed to take off our masks. I was the last one to be called after Celine.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the last but not the least is the only daughter of Mr and Mrs. Entrata. She graduated cum laude at the University of the Philippines with a bachelor's degree in Business Administration. Let's welcome here on the stage, Marydale Entrata!"

That's my cue. Okay, here I go.

----------------

I almost didn't make it. After I left the office in a daze (because of the email), I was stuck in a traffic for almost an hour. To calm my nerves, after I gave the car key to the valet attendant, I decided to freshen up first.

On my way to the restroom, the ladies' room door opened giving me a glimpse of someone inside.

Is that Yam? I'm going nuts! I'm seeing Yam everywhere. D@mn that email! I wonder who sent that... It's not Marco's style and he's the only one I told about her.

I did my thing in the restroom and checked myself for the last time in the mirror. I dialled Marco's number.

"I'm here. Where are you, guys?"

"Thank God! Okay, we're seated at table number 38. It's near the entrance of the ballroom. Just ask any staff where the gala is and they'll lead you here. Hurry, up! The auction is starting."

"Ok. Be there in five."

I went back to the lobby and asked one of the staff where the gala is held and was directed to the right ballroom. Apparently, there are three ballrooms in all in the hotel. As I entered the ballroom, I saw our table immediately.

"Bro, you're just in time. Start pa lang."

"Where's Celine?"

"She's at the backstage. The ladies are being called one by one on the stage. Celine is number 14th."

"Ilan ba sila?"

"Fifteen."

"You're never gonna believe this. I got an email saying Yam is one of the ladies to be auctioned."

"What?! Hmm... you're not skeptical?"

"I don't know. Nababaliw na yata ako. I thought I saw her kanina."

"Well...just check out every girls on the stage. Baka makita mo siya."