Chapter 14

Bushak! Hindi ko na kaya ito!

Let's backtrack.

When you're an only child, sometimes, you get overwhelmed with so much attention. Every little thing is scrutinized. Every action is questioned. And the really bad part of it is that when you've done something wrong, it's easily noticed because you're the only one they see.

The first time I fainted is when I was five. I accidentally broke my mother's precious vase. It was an antique. Because of so much anxiety, I fainted.

The second time is when I was in high school. I saw an article that if you make your neck muscles tensed, hold your breath for several seconds, it would induce fainting. I was not able to finish my report that time so I fake fainted in front of our class. It worked but I was sent to a doctor. But because of that, I was able to get one day extension. I never did it again until my freshman year in college.

During that time, I had already perfected the art of fainting. I timed holding my breath and tensed my neck muscles just right until I fainted and I could will it on demand. Genius, right? I did it just because I wanted to escape an embarassing situation I wouldn't want to mention again.

Before you judge me, my fainting at the gala was not self-inflicted. Dr. Madrid thought that I was just under a lot of stress coupled with iron deficiency that I passed out.

This time, the moment I hear EJ's name, I know that I'm going to fake faint again. I am not ready for our meeting. But the shock of seeing him for the second time is real. I don't have to fake it. And I come to my senses when EJ is putting me on my bed. I am aware of everything that is happening around me.

This is also the first time I have to pretend unconscious for a long time. Every breath must be uniform. No sudden movement. The rise and fall of my chest just like I'm sleeping.

Ang hirap-hirap! Di pa ko iniwan ni EJ at kinulong pa ang kamay ko sa dalawang kamay niya. Parang ayaw akong mawala.

"Yam, I'm so sorry. I didn't want this to happen. I wanted to give you time..."

"Edward, son, how is she?" Tito Darwin asks.

"She's fine, I think. She just needs to rest some more."

"Do we have to call Dr. Matthews?" Tita Anne suggests.

"I don't think so. I'll be here, Mom. I'll keep watch. Go ahead and have breakfast. I'll send for you when she regains her consciousness."

"What about you?"

"Just send breakfast in here. And soup for Yam. Thanks, Mom."

They leave. EJ keeps playing with my hand. He traces each finger with his own that send electricity throughout my body. My breath hitches. I know that EJ is watching me intently. He runs his fingers on my palm. My fingers twitch.

"I know you're awake, Yam. Open your eyes." 

I ignore him and pretend that I'm still unconscious. He moves closer. His lips are almost touching my ear. His breath tickles my ear and I move again.

"If you don't open your eyes, I will kiss you this time." Edward murmurs in my ear. I still ignore him. He continues,

"With tongue. Are you ready? You've been warned."