Chapter 28

"Bes, sobrang ganda!"

"I know, right?"

I was showing off my engagement ring to Pat via video call while waiting for Edward to arrive.

Earlier, Edward slipped the ring on my finger and then, he kissed me. He told me to get some rest and get ready at seven o'clock in the evening because finally, by hook or by crook, we would have our date. He left my room after that.

"Bes, I think it's two carat. And the cut! Kakainggit naman!"

It was a classic solitaire platinum ring with two carat princess cut diamond. Yes, I was lucky. It was exactly my style. And it fit my ring finger perfectly so there was no need to resize it.

"So, when is the wedding?"

"Not soon. It is going to be a long engagement."

"Okay lang kay EJ yun?"

"Yes. That is one of the reasons why I accepted his proposal."

I heard a knock and the door of my room opened.

"EJ is here. Gotta go. Chika ulit later. Bye, Bes!" I ended the video call and looked at the door. EJ had arrived.

"You look beautiful." He said as he walked and stopped behind me.

"Thank you...and so are you!"

We were facing the full length mirror. I could see a woman happy and in love and a man equally in love. The man was also admiring the reflection. He approved of what he saw.

"You're beautiful." He said as he lowered his lips to my exposed shoulder and kissed it.

I moved my head slightly, to give him more access. He trailed kisses from my shoulders up to my jaw. He also whispered,

"You're mine later, my love."

I just nodded. In times like this, I couldn't say no to him.

He turned me to face him and swooped down to give me a proper kiss.

"I should buy stocks of your lipstick brand." He said after he kissed me senseless.

"Why?"

"Because it is kissproof. It benefits all the guys out there who love to kiss their wives, girlfriends and in my case, fiancée. I'm sure the men will buy it themselves for their women."

"Well, you do have a point." I looked at myself in the mirror again. No smudge.

"Are you ready?" Edward asked.

"Yes. Let's go."

At the restaurant, Edward led me to a table where our parents were seated.

"W-what..."

"Yam, please don't be angry. When my Mom learned that you accepted my proposal, she insisted that we all have a celebration...of sort."

"Fine. Wala naman na akong magagawa. Especially now that my Mom knows it, too."

"Thank you. I know you want everything low-key so I'll leave it to you and if you still want to plan for our engagement party and invite our friends."

"Okay."

"Marydale!" Tita Angie rose from her seat and greeted me.

"Tita." We kissed each other on the cheek.

"Iha, call me Mom. After all, you're going to be my daughter soon."

"Ok po...Mom." I replied shyly.

"Welcome to the family, Marydale!" Edward's father said as he hugged me.

"Mom, Dad, don't overwhelm my fiancee." Edward said as he rescued me.

I walked to my parents and gave them a kiss.

"Marydale..." My mom started to say. "...I'm sorry. I did it again, no?"

"Yes, Mama. Don't worry, okay na po. Did Tita...I mean Mommy Angie tell you about Edward...about us?"

"Yes. And I approve of your choice. I can also see that you're happy. May I see the ring?"

I held out my hand so Mama could see my engagement ring.

"Well, he has good taste."

"Let me see!" Tita Angie went to us. "Yes, my son has good taste." She beamed with pride.

"Okay, let's start to order." Edward tried to rescue me again.

"Don't worry, Edward. It's taken care of. Our food will be served any minute now."

"Okay, Mom." Edward said and we took our seat. Finally.

"I'm sorry, again. I shouldn't have let our parents to come here."

"Edward, it's okay." I patted his thigh. He put his hand on top of mine.

"I'd like to make a toast. To future Mr. & Mrs. Edward Barber!" Edward's father raised his glass of champagne.

We followed and raised our glasses.

"So, what are your plans?" My father asked.

"Papa, we will have a long engagement. We don't plan to marry soon."

"But..." Edward's mom started to protest.

"Mom, we are not in a hurry. We are just in our twenties...I'm 23 and Marydale is just 22."

Our parents looked at each other. They were confused.

"So, why did you propose?" My father asked Edward.

"I just want Yam to be mine."

"You didn't have to do that. You could just be her boyfriend."

"No. Besides, you wanted Marydale to marry Ethan."

"That's different."

"It's the same. You just got the wrong brother." I answered my father.

"Are you pregnant?" My mother asked.

"Mama!"

"No, she's not." Edward replied but still asked me, "Are you?"

"No! I don't think so."

"You're not sure, iha?" Edward's mom asked.

"Mom!" Edward exclaimed.

"Well, we wait and see. If you're pregnant, you have to get married right away." My mother declared.

All our parents agreed. Edward and I sighed. We were outnumbered.

Edward and I were in my room. We were lying on the bed. We went home after our disastrous dinner.

"Yam..."

"Edward, I'm okay."

"But you don't look okay."

"I just don't want to be pressured. That's all."

"Yeah, I get it. Basta we'll do what you want not what our parents wanted, okay?"

"Naiisip ko tuloy na ngayon pa lang...what will happen when we plan our wedding?"

"You know the answer to that, Yam."

"Yan tuloy, I'm thinking that eloping seems like a good idea right now."

"Vegas?"

"Vegas."

"Hmmm...But first..."

Edward's hand moved and pulled down my night dress.

"...we make love."