Chapter 23

Uhm, Edward...
I was about to say, yes...errr...maybe?

It was our fourth day in Paris. We were waiting for our dinner to arrive.

We spent the first three days inside our hotel - eating, sleeping, netflix-ing, swimming in the pool, lounging at the garden, reading, etc. Basically doing couple-y activities.

Earlier today after lunch, Edward went out to do some errands while I stayed at the hotel. He returned in time for dinner.

"How did your errand go?" I asked.

"It's okay." He answered vaguely.

I just shrugged. I didn't mind that he left me alone at the hotel because I preferred to be alone sometimes. It was also the only time we were separated for more than an hour since we arrived in Paris.

I spent my afternoon reading a book and did some coding on the app I was developing. And, I was able to talk to Pat again. I remembered our conversation:

"So, sinagot mo na yung proposal nya? What did you say?"

"Wala."

"Ha? Bakit wala?"

"Nagbago isip nya. Besides, hindi niya ako binigyan ng chance makasagot."

"Papaano? Hay naku, Marydale. Wag mong sabihin...Nevermind. Alam ko na kung bakit di mo nasagot. Ano ba ang isasagot mo?"

"Yes? Actually, gusto ko na ayaw. Nagtatalo ang puso ko at isip. So, mabuti na rin yung nangyari. Masyadong mabilis lahat."

"I agree with you. Ang kasal kasi hindi yan parang damit lang. Kapag hindi nag-fit, or di mo nagustuhan, pwedeng ipa-exchange."

"You're right. You are right, Pat."

"But why didn't I feel relieved?" I thought.

"Yam!"

"Huh?!"

"What are you thinking? I called your name several times already."

"Sorry, Edward. What was your question again?"

"I said I already arranged everything for tomorrow. Di ba last night, we talked about all the places we would see and visit here in Paris? We'll leave the hotel at seven in the morning. Is that okay with you?"

"Yes, Edward."

*knock* *knock*

"Well, our dinner is here."

Edward stood up and opened the door to let the staff in. Delicious aroma wafted through the room. Edward helped arrange everything on the dining table and dismissed the staff afterwards.

I just got inside when my stomach rumbled. I remembered that I forgot to eat again.

"Yam, c'mon, let's eat! I could hear your stomach from here." Edward shouted from the dining area of the suite.

"I forgot to eat again!" I smiled sheepishly as I walked towards Edward.

"Yam, I told you don't forget to eat. You're too skinny! The staff will prepare anything you'd like. Just call them."

"Okay. Di na po mauulit."

"You better." He said sternly.

We ate in silence. I was too busy eating that I didn't see Edward smiling at me.

"What?" I asked when I looked at him.

"I forgot that you eat like a construction worker. It amazes me that you don't get fat."

"Huy, grabe siya! Gutom lang. And, I have a fast metabolism."

"Well, continue." He said as he gestured to my almost empty plate.

"Don't look. Nako-conscious ako eh."

"Fine. But you should eat more vegetables."

"Okay, Mr. Health police. But that's the last, no more. I'm full."

*Ring!* *Ring!*

"That's my phone. Have to get that. Excuse me." Edward stood up and went to answer his phone.

--------------------

"Edward?"

Yam and I were having our lunch. I decided that I would propose to her again. Tomorrow, at the Eiffel Tower. Yes, very cliche. To be able to do that, I had to leave Yam alone in our suite.

"Yes, Yam?"

"What are our plans for the rest of the day?"

"Umm...I have to go do some errands after lunch. But, I'll be back before dinner time."

"Okay."

"You're not mad?" I asked Yam.

"Why would I get mad?"

"You know, you really are different. But in a good way."

"Ummm...Thanks?" She answered smiling. She really was different. That was why I had to go.

I left Yam at the hotel after our lunch. My first stop, jewelry store.

"Welcome, Mr. Barber. As you requested, these are the rings that would suit your needs." The jeweler showed me the selection of their top notch engagement rings. Each cut, design and carat spoke class, elegance but most of all, simplicity.

"That one." I said as I pointed to the ring I thought most represented my Yam.

"Perfect choice, Sir. This is a classic solitaire platinum engagement ring. The diamond is princess cut, 2 carats."

"I'll take it." I could have gotten a bigger stone but I didn't think Yam would go for ostentatious.

"Very good, Sir."

I went to the Le Jules Verne to make a reservation after I left the jewelry store. The manager was a family acquaintance. I wanted to personally carry out our plan for tomorrow leading to my proposal which I decided to do at dinner.

I went back to the hotel after doing all of my errands. We were halfway though our dinner when my phone rang.

"That's my phone. Have to get that. Excuse me."

"Yes, Mom."

"Edward, I hate to cut your trip short but you and Marydale have to go back. Her parents are here."

"Can we leave the day after tomorrow?"

"I'm sorry, son. Her parents are very insistent."

"Okay, mom. We'll leave first thing in the morning."

"That's my mom. We have to get back. Your parents have arrived in Germany." I told Yam after my mom ended the call.

"What?! We have plans tomorrow! Can we leave at least the day after tomorrow?" Yam asked.

"No. I'm sorry."

Yam stood up and went to the bedroom. She closed the door very loudly.

"I feel you, Yam." I whispered.

At least we share the same sentiment. But...what about my proposal?!