Chapter 26

'What do you mean?' He asked her.

'You always do this, look at my stomach with… I don't know maybe longing or that you wish these were your babies?' Emma wondered if she had gone too far, she had no grounds for her assessment and she hoped he wouldn't be upset.

He stared at her for the longest while 'I do,' he said finally.

Emma gasped 'What?' she wasn't expecting him to admit it. She could only stare at him, how was she to react when she found that her brother in law wanted the babies she was carrying.

'I'm sorry. I'm happy for my brother and all, but I just not fair you know? He didn't even want to settle down, but now he has a wife with babies on the way.' He stopped talking and begin to pace. Emma could barely process what he was saying. 'I've always wanted a family, a wife, babies but it seems like the day will never come'

Emma looked at him in sympathy 'And you haven't found anyone?'

He laughed harshly 'No not really. I have to be careful of the woman I date. Being rich is a blessing and a curse. It makes it hard to trust anyone,' He stopped and looked at her for the longest time, and silence thickens between them. Emma fidgeted, starting to feel uncomfortable under his scrutiny. 'I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like the jealous brother. And I didn't mean to unload in you, especially in your condition.' He came and caressed her stomach again 'Jonas was hard on you.' It wasn't a question. 'Don't be mad at him, he was just frightened. Even though he may not love you, he loves his children very much.'

Ouch. Was stating that Jonas didn’t love her really necessary? Emma wondered, slightly angry that maybe he did it on purpose. Was he trying to hurt her? Did he know she secretly longed for Jonas' love deep in the heart of her existence? Emma glared up at him but he only shrugged 'It's best if you leave now,' she told him looking deep in his eyes. She didn't want him to know how those words affected her.

He turned and walk towards the door but before he open it, he paused 'Don't expect much from Jonas, you want his love but you will never get it. He's calculative, and treats everything as a business deal. The ground of your marriage is testament to that.' Emma could only stare at his back 'I'm not saying this to hurt you Emma; I just don't want to see you disappointed or end up hurt.' He turned the door knob and left the room, closing the door quietly behind him.

Emma blinked rapidly as she contemplated what William just told her. How dare he? He had no right to say those things to her. They weren't friends and they weren't even close. He was just a fucking asshole who grudges his brother. Even though Emma told herself that, she knew what he said was true. She had known from the beginning who Jonas was, the blackmail and threat of custody battle was testament to that. But hell, it was hard to hear it from someone else.

Emma sighed, this was her life now, there was no point in getting upset over her choices. She knew Jonas didn't love her but he treated her like a husband would one wife, well except for tonight. She wasn't unhappy, so did love really matter? Emma took comfort in the fact that if she wanted more and Jonas was unwilling she could always get a divorce. That plan didn't seem anymore appealing than staying in a love-less marriage.

A knock on the door snap her out of her thoughts. Kelly and Arlene walked in with Kelly holding a tray of food for her. 'Hi baby, how are you feeling?'

Like shit, a little depressed and a little anxious for the future 'I'm good,' she told them instead, forcing a smile. 'I'm glad your here Aunt Kelly, Arlene.'

'Good cause we are spending the night. We are going to have a girl’s night in.' Arlene muttered happily, already moving towards the DVD case. Emma chuckled, as she slowly moved to the center of the bed. Kelly sat on her left and after Arlene put in a movie, joined her on her right. 'It's a black and white movie, hope you don't mind.' Emma shook her head no. Emma started eating the spaghetti and meat balls Kelly brought her. Throughout the movie she continued to nibble on the pieces of apple and grapes until she was full. Arlene caressed her stomach occasionally, explaining parts of the movie to her stomach, which made her smile. Emma felt herself nodding off but she wasn't ready to go to sleep yet.