Chapter 41

Emma slowly opened her eyes. She was still exhausted but when she remembered why, a blast of energy filled her. She couldn't stop grinning as she sat up and looked about the room. She wasn't in the delivery room anymore but a private room. It was filled with flowers and countless colorful wrapped boxes. Oh my. She didn't have many friends so she guessed a majority came from her family.

About to the press the button by her bedside the door opened. Hanna and Arlene walked in with pink balloons chatting cheerfully 'Oh you are awake. Oh Emma you should see them, they are perfect.' Hanna gushed. Emma had yet to see her girls. She had passed out from exhaustion little after she birthed her babies.

As if on cue the door open and the nurse came in pushing the little table. Emma eagerly leaned forward but frowned when she saw one baby. 'Where is the other one?' She panicked getting ready to get off the bed to look for her child.

Hanna came and took her hand 'It's okay honey. Look?' The door open and Jonas walked in, a pink bundle in his arms. He looked from their daughter and smiled brightly at her. His eyes cloud over in sadness for a minute but in the next second it was gone 'Hi baby, I'm so happy you are awake.' He hurried to her and kissed her square on the lips. After the toe curling kiss, he gently place the baby in her arms.

Emma felt tears gather in her eyes and no matter how she tried to blink them away they fell softly down her cheeks. 'Meet Elle Rose.' Emma stared down at her daughter’s sleeping face. Her eyes were slightly puffy, her cheeks were tinted flush and her lips were cheery red. Her tiny fingers were huddled up to her chin and curly black hair peaked out of her white hat. Emma leaned down and kissed her perfect face, not bothering to unwrapped her pink swaddle. 'Elle Rose?' She looked at her husband who had the other baby. Had Emma ever seen him so beautiful? Damn Jonas alone could bring her to her knees but Jonas and with a baby? Hell, breathtaking.

He looked sheepish 'I hope you don't mind, I changed it. It just sounds better.' Emma smiled up at him. 'And here is Elizabeth Rayna,'

Emma couldn't find much difference between her babies as she stare at Elizabeth. With a lighter shade of pink swaddle and matching white tam, she looked just as beautiful. Their dark lashes kissing their cheeks as they rest peacefully in her arms, their mouths moving occasionally as if tasting something. She looked through watery eyes at her husband who eyes also looked glassed over ‘Oh Jonas, look at them.’ She cooed in utter fascination. These little beauties were hers to take home, to love, to take care of and play with. It was so overwhelming, the complete love she was feeling. And she couldn’t wait for it all.

Jonas sat down beside her, kissing her cheek and the babies faces, hands and caressing their tiny feet. ‘You look so gorgeous baby. How is that possible?’ Emma blushed and chuckled as she shook her head

They spoke as the babies continue to sleep and they woke up just as the rest of the family poured in. First Billy, who went and hug his wife, Luka, William, Grant and Kelly with her family. Seth and Sara ran to her and touched the babies cooing and giggling playfully ‘These are your cousins and you will take very good care of them.’ Emma told them and they nodded vigorously. They moved aside so the rest of the family could come and see the babies. Kelly took Elizabeth Rayna while Arlene took Elle Rose. Her arms felt empty and she had to force herself not to reach back for her daughters. Jonas held her hands together and they smile at each other in understanding. She watched semi-happily as her daughters were passed around but still loving the way everyone was enjoying her muffins.

Luka didn’t want to release Elle and fought to hold Elizabeth as well. Their grandparents were having a blast and the obvious joy on their faces was heartwarming.  It made Emma smile but she frowned when she realized William neither touch or held any of the babies. He merely looked on with a blank face. She wondered if any of the family noticed but it didn’t seem like they did. He caught her staring but immediately looked down.