Chapter 34

Emma just finished washing the dishes when her cell rang. Taking it up she grinned when she saw it was Jessie 'Hi Jessie,'

'Uh hey Emma. I have news of Fin.'

Emma had to brace on the counter at the name of her worst nightmare. Had he finally decide to come for her? Did she have to move now? 'Oh God Jessie...' she started breathing hard.

'No Emma calm down. He's had an accident and is now practically a vegetable. He can't walk; talk and I learned he is brain dead. They have him in a facility but the doctors don't think he had much hope for him.' Emma's hand flew to her mouth as relief washed through her body. Did it make her insensitive that she was happy? 'I've now learned that all his operations had been shut down, what weren't apprehended by police came to an end by fires.'

Emma couldn't believe her ears. It was over, just like that? It was so easy, was it so 'What's going on Jessie?' She knew that he knew what she was talking about. How come after years, Fin's entire operation suddenly went up in smokes, him with it?

She heard him sigh 'I don't know Emma; all I know for sure is that it's over.' Emma stared out her kitchen window where she could see her drive way. And off in the near distance she saw the gates opening 'Someone really cares about you Emma, just be careful.'

Her husband. His car was fast approaching. She nodded in relations to what Jessie said.

She watched her husband step out of his car, but he didn't move to come in. He looked hesitant and for a moment worried. But then his face transformed into an emotionless mask. 'Jessie, you have been following Jonas; you have his conversations on tape. Burn them, everything,' Emma whispered. She wasn't surprised when Jessie agreed without question. They both knew.

Emma ended the call when she heard footsteps nearing the kitchen. She turned to face her husband as he walked in but he didn't come to her. His face was guarded, giving nothing away as he assessed her. Was he trying to figure out if she knew? Without a word Emma walked into his arms and hugged him tight. Her body sagged as the years that filled with fear and worry drifted off, leaving her with cool acceptance. She wasn't afraid; she knew long ago that he would do anything to protect his family. Was that an acceptable response? Should she question him about it? Should they talk and let him know she knew? Neither of them said a word, they just held each other. They didn't have to, they didn't address it or mention any of it. They just be. And as they communicated silently, she felt Jonas' body release the tension and he held her closer.

All Emma knew was that she was forever in his debt.

After that day, neither of them spoke of Fin. They had watched the news; numerous broadcasts of the accidents... and of the families that lost love ones to the crime ring. An Officer of the DEA had even called her to make her formally aware that Fin was out of the picture and she can finally have peace. Emma was dealing with it and she had finally accepted that she didn't have to worry about Fin anymore. It was strange. She had never let Fin stop her from living, but she hadn't realized how much she had held her life back. He was always occupying apart in her mind and now, now she can finally let go.

She laughed more freely and now it proved how much she could do it. All her family was here, her in laws and her aunt Kelly with her husband and kids. They were all in the sitting room playing charades and Luka was doing some form of dance, if you could call it that. No one could figure out what he was doing. Emma sat between William and Billy eating some wings. She caught Jonas' eye and he smirked at her. She stuck her tongue out playfully and he suddenly got serious. She raised her eyebrows at him but he only shook his head.