Chapter 17

Zarah's POV

I had no idea that we were going to have some guests over. I was not prepared at all. I didn't even know where I was going to sleep. They simply mustn't see us sleeping in different rooms, it would only make them suspicious. And suspicion brings questions, which I had no answers to.

Think, Zarah. Think.

We finally decided to give them one of the guest rooms upstairs. I had no choice but to move in with Ayyan for the night. Oh, this is going to be interesting. We turned off the lights and locked the doors. I showed them their room for the night. I stopped at my room and picked up my nightwear, and the clothes I was going to wear in the morning carefully so that we didn't get caught.

Should I knock?

No, that would also make them suspicious. Sighing softly, I entered the room. It stole my breath away. It was just perfect. It looked like a king's room. The room screamed royalty with its gold theme. It was huge with a king sized bed in the middle. There were two bed side drawers with golden lamps on top of them, and two mirrors behind the drawers.

A chandelier was illuminating the room. A huge television was placed opposite the bed with a drawer under it. There was also a couch and a lamp on the far corner of the room, near the curtains. I went to the curtains and surprise, it was a balcony that had a full view of the house. Woah, it was unbelievable. The other side of the room was where the closet and the bathroom were, I guessed.

I was sitting patiently on the bed with my clothes in my hand when the king decided that it was the perfect time to come in. "I guess you're sleeping here tonight." If I wasn't sleeping there, what would I be doing there then? "Right, Banana?" Oh, this guy had some nerves.

"What did you just call me?" I asked him, shooting him a calm glare.

"I called you banana. Isn't that your new nickname after 'the incident?'" He was really testing me.

"You have five seconds to run." He started going backwards and I followed him slowly. "Five. Four. Three. Two. One."

I looked at him, smirking slightly. "Run."

He sprinted and I followed him, struggling to hide the laughter bubbling inside me, begging to be released. "You can't catch me," he yelled back at me.

"Oh, it's on." He left the room in the blink of an eye and I followed him as fast as I could. Ayyan was laughing real hard which was a huge disadvantage to him, but an advantage to me seeing as it was slowing him down. He went downstairs and I followed him. I finally caught up with him in the dining room. We both collapsed there laughing like mad gorillas.

"That was fun," I commented, after we both calmed down.

"Yeah, I agree. Let's go back upstairs before we wake them up." He stood up first and dusted his clothes, then he gave me his hand.

"Thanks." I took his hand and stood up too. I thought he would take back his hand after I stood up but he didn't. We held hands and went upstairs. We were on the last step when the thunder roared and I let his hand go.

This was it. I would fall and die.

"Zarah!" Ayyan caught my hand and threw me forward into his hard chest. He was hugging me. Ayyan was hugging me. Oh my God, I never saw that coming. I was in shock for a few seconds. He almost let go when I hugged him back.

"Zarah, what happened? You scared me," he yelled, concern dripping from his lips and hooded eyes.

"I'm so sorry, I'm afraid of thunder. Sorry," my voice was wobbly, and I was biting my lips.

"Please don't cry. I didn't mean to make you cry. It's just you almost gave me a heart attack."

"Why did I give you a heart attack?" 

"Because she was also afraid of thunder."

"Who is she?" I asked him slowly, because it was not everyday that you see Ayyan this tensed up.

"My sister."

"Huh, I never knew Aysha was scared of thunder. Or is it Maryam?" My hand slowly left his back, as I stepped away from him.

It took him a long time to answer. He was lost in deep thought. "Ayyan." I nudged his bulging shoulder. He nodded absentmindedly. "I just asked you a question."

"Mar-Aysha." Was Ayyan lying? I looked at him, eyes scrunched up in suspicion. "Aysha is afraid of thunder. Now, let's go back to our room." I shrugged the uncomfortable feeling and followed him back to the master bedroom.

Ayyan was already in his night clothes, so I went to the walk-in closet and changed my clothes. The closet was bigger than the one back at his parents' house, and that was saying something because the one back at his home was massive.

I laid on the left side of the bed and Ayyan laid on the right. We didn't even fight, we just spoke with our minds and agreed. I guess we were really getting along now. I wanted to sleep, but I couldn't and I didn't even know why. So I started counting sheep.

I was on the 347th sheep, but I still couldn't sleep. It was then that I heard a movement. I turned around and met a pair of bluish-green eyes. Guess I wasn't the only one suffering from insomnia.

"Can't sleep?"

"Yeah, what about you?"

"Same. Wanna talk?"

"Sure, why not?" Tonight was full of surprises so it wasn't a surprise to me at all when he said yes.

"Why did you agree to get married to me?" I asked. Well, it was the night I was finally getting some answers. Perhaps he had been waiting for a chance to ask me some stuff but couldn't.

"My parents forced me and blackmailed me into marrying you. I didn't have a choice of choosing a wife." I felt sorry for him and myself. We were both forced into this marriage, regardless of whether we wanted to get married or not. Life was unfair.

"I understand." I gave him a small smile. He didn't smile back.

"I thought I had, but I didn't," he whispered the last part in a trance. I had to shake him thrice before he broke out of the trance.

"Is everything okay?"

***

Salam guys❤️

Finally, chapter 17 is out. I'm glad it's done. I almost gave up on this chapter because I thought I lost it when I wrote the draft and forgot to save. But thankfully, I didn't.

The covers were made by an awesome friend and one of my biggest fan Sameen1212. Thank you so much for the covers💝. I absolutely love them😫❤️❤️

So how is the chapter? Do you like it? I hope you do. That's it for today.

~R.