Chapter 40

Dedicated to Harshini2086 Thank you for the wonderful message!💘

Zarah's POV

My back was sore, and so was my entire body. I had woken up with a severe headache that morning. I could barely move from the bed. I turned around to talk to Ayyan but found an empty bed instead. Where was he?

As if answering my question, a dressed Ayyan came into the room. He looked sleek and gorgeous as always. I groaned, lying back on the bed. I was sure I looked like a hot mess. I hadn't really been myself since Papi died. I no longer woke up early for breakfast. If I did that, it'd feel like Papi was waiting for me, for our walk.

I sighed. I missed Papi so much it hurt. Sure, I hadn't known him for long, but we were very close. I would always hold his stories, and the memories we made together close to my heart.

Food was another problem. I hardly ate. The food wouldn't go down no matter how hard I made it, and when I forced it to go down, it occasionally came out in a semi-liquid form.

"Zarah, how are you feeling?" Ayyan's husky voice hit my ears. I could feel him approaching the bed until he finally stroke my hair. I removed my head from the pillow I was stuffing it in, groaning again.

"Like a mess." I blowed a strand of hair from my face.

"You need to get yourself together, Banana," he said, his voice low and soft. "I know it's hard, but you need to stay strong. Our people need you. They need their queen."

An unwilling sigh escaped my lips again. "I don't think I can," my voice was a lot lower and softer than his could ever be.

"Yes, you can." He bent down and gave me a lingering kiss on the forehead. "I'm leaving for the coronation meeting. I'm going to send Aysha. Make sure you get dressed and meet me downstairs when you're done." I gave him a thumbs-up before snuggling back into bed.

I didn't even know why I felt so tired. I hadn't done a thing in days, except lie around. My head started spinning as I felt bile rising. What the heck? I hadn't even eaten—more like tried to—yet. I rushed to the bathroom, emptying what little content I had in my stomach.

"Zarah, where are you?" Aysha yelled.

Wiping some drool from the side of my mouth, I answered, "In here." I listened as her footsteps became louder and closer.

"Oh my God, what happened?" She rushed forward and rubbed my back. Once I was done, I washed my face and brushed my teeth.

"I don't know. I just puked and I haven't even eaten yet," I said, entering the room.

"Does Ayyan know?" I shook my head. I didn't want to worry him. He had enough on his plate, what with the ceremony and Papi's death. He didn't need another stress to add to it. "Well, you should tell him." Yeah, right. I let myself fall back on the bed.

I still didn't know how Aysha got over him (his own granddaughter) while I who hadn't even known him for more than a year is still a mess. And I was supposed to be the queen. Honestly, they deserved better.

"I know that look, Zarah," she warned.

"What look?" I asked, looking at her innocently.

"The I'm-never-gonna-tell-Ayyan look," she sighed. "Wait." Her eyes lit up, and a mischievous smile covered her face. "Are you sure you're not, y'know, preggie?" Aysha winked.

I slammed my hand over my mouth. "Aysha, come on, let's be serious," I said.

"What? It's a possibility." She gave me another look. "When did you last see your period?" I glanced at her. When was the last time I actually saw my period?