Chapter 39

Ayyan's POV

The bed was empty when I woke up. I was no longer surprised by it. In fact, it would seem unusual if Zarah was still in bed when I wake up. After Fajr, we went back to bed, but Zarah always woke up before me.

She adored her walk with Papi too much to stay in bed with me. After the first few weeks, I stopped trying to get her to stay in bed. He adored her exactly how she adored him. So who was I to steal away the only time they spent together?

She would tell me every day what happened on their walk with my grandfather. She was quite obsessed with him. Her eyes would light up and she'd tell me of all the amazing things he told her on their walk. He would tell her about ancient kingdoms and faraway lands, the history of Runaria and its people. The rules surrounding the kingdom. He would tell her things that even I, the king, didn't know.

They were quite close. Why wouldn't he like her when she was exactly like Naana, my grandmother? If she were alive, they would have gotten along quite well. They were literally the same person and were both great queens.

As usual, I got dressed in a black Jampa. After successfully getting the throne, I hardly wore normal clothes anymore. I no longer had the privilege of doing so. Although no one stopped me except my expectations—no one could ever stop me no matter how much they wanted to—I still owed it to my people to wear their clothes; our clothes.

I would be an unworthy king if I didn't at the very least wear the same clothes that they wear all the time. Plus Zarah preferred me in Runarian clothing, which was a rather good bonus.

Navigating the palace was the easiest thing I could do. Unlike Zarah, I preferred Suman over Jamya. I liked the atmosphere and the mysteriousness that the Suman Palace offered. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I spent a good number of years in this palace. Unlike most of the servants and royal family, I didn't grow up in Runaria. However, I spent most of my vacations in Runaria, particularly the Suman Palace.

I spent some time in the Jamya Palace, but not as much. I had learned the nooks and crannies of Suman. The best view, the hidden staircases, the ancient ballrooms. There wasn't a part of Suman that I wasn't accustomed to. One thing I wished was in Suman, however, it was the fall. I terribly missed it.

I hadn't expected to hear noises coming from the dining room. Most of the relatives had left for their homes. Even Momma, Dad, and Aysha had left. What I expected to find was Zarah and Papi conversing in low tones and the remaining extended family sitting there talking gently waiting for me, their king.

I found none.

Instead, the maids and the guards in the room bowed. "Rise." I looked at one of the trembling maids, "Where is everyone?" I asked, my voice steady as I tried to hide the panic within it. Papi was never late for breakfast. It was the most important meal of the day, he had said once.

She didn't answer. A guard did, however. "Your Majesty," he bowed once again. "Her Majesty Queen Zarah told me to inform you she is with His Majesty in his room?" His head was low as he spoke.

"Who? Papi?" My voice boomed across the room. He shivered under the intensity of my gaze.

"Yes, Your Majesty," he said. I left the dining area for Papi's room immediately. I wondered what was wrong. I hoped it wasn't his sickness that was coming back. It couldn't be. He looked okay the last time I saw him.

My steps were heavy and quick as I stormed my way through Papi's wing. He was still in the king's chambers. I didn't have it in me to ask him to leave the chambers as they were mine from the moment he announced me as king. We stayed in the crown prince's chambers because it didn't matter.