Chapter 45

"Who knows how far we've gotten now?" I wrote this question when I outlined how many chapters I wanted in the book. And now, I can't believe I'm here. To answer the question: farther than I ever thought.

P.S. Grab your tissues for this chapter.

Zarah's POV

Aysha was dead.

Three words, twelve letters and part of my soul.

My best friend was gone, forever.

I would never see her beautiful smile, the one that could light up an entire room. I would never hear her mischievous laugh when she was up to no good. I would never be able to hug her again.

Why was the universe so cruel? Why did it take away my sister? Why?

It had been hours since Asaad shot Aysha, and the medics had arrived. Ayyan was trying to pull me away from Aysha's body, but I refused to budge.

No one was going to take her away from me. She wouldn't want that. Besides, I needed to be there when she wakes up. When she laughs in my face and tells me how naïve I was to believe her little prank.

"Aysha, please stop this cruel prank. Just wake up and laugh. I know what you are doing and... and I won't fall for it," my voice was cracking as I shook her limp body.

"Zarah, she's gone," Ayyan whispered. I looked up into Ayyan's bloodshot eyes. I could see him cracking, his walls were breaking. Ayyan would never cry if she wasn't truly gone.

And that was my undoing.

I crashed into his arms; the tears falling down my face like heavy rain. "She's gone, Ayyan. She left me."

I could hear the thickness of his voice. He was crying when he said, "I know."

I turned around to look at her one last time before leaving. Her brown eyes were closed forever. Her skin didn't have its natural glow but was rather pale. A neutral look replaced the enormous smile I was used to seeing. Her hazel hair was glowing, and she was wearing a gown of mine.

And for the first time since I had met Aysha, she was quiet.

I bent down and gave her one last kiss on the forehead. "I will love you forever," I whispered.

And then I turned around.

Burying my face in Ayyan's arms, I averted my eyes from Asaad's bloodied body. The bile in my throat would have come out if I hadn't stopped looking at the mess of a body.

Ayyan steered me downstairs and out the door. The house was full of medics, police officers, and other people that I didn't care to acknowledge.

"Where are we going?" I managed to croak out.

"Home."

By the time we boarded the plane, I had already promised myself never to step foot in that godforsaken country ever again. There were too many broken memories in it. And I was sure Ayyan felt the same.

Just like the car ride, the trip back to Runaria was quiet and filled with heart-wrenching silence. I remembered the first time I came to Runaria and how Aysha had entertained me the entire trip.

She had said life was too short.

And it was true, especially for her. Aysha was gone too soon.

The moment my foot landed on Runarian soil, reporters bombarded me. I didn't even know how they found out about us or how they got into the landing space. I thought it was private.