Chapter 32

Zarah's POV

"Ayyan, why do you have to go to work today?" I groaned and jumped out of the bed. "It's not like you've been going to work since we came to Runaria."

"That's exactly why I have to go to work today, Zarah," he knotted his black tie with a sigh of happiness, "I have missed too much work."

I shot him a glare. "I'm sorry, babe. I'm just going to visit the branch here. I won't stay for long. Besides, you have Aysha, Zoya, Rukayya and Maryam to keep you company."

"That reminds me, Ayyan," I chewed my lips as he focused his attention on me.

"Continue, Zarah."

"Uhm... I was thinking, when are we going back home?" His eyebrows creased and a frown started developing. "I mean, I miss everyone back home. I miss our home too. It's not that I don't like Runaria. No! You know I do. It's just- there's no place like home."

"Zarah," came his gruff voice, "this is your home now. You're going to be the Queen of Runaria, and Queens live in their kingdoms."

"What?"

"You heard what I said," his voice was stern. "You thought being a Queen is easy, you have to make sacrifices, Zarah. For some, it's love; for others, it might be their soul; but for you, your sacrifice is your former life."

He left the room with a cold glint in his eyes and a broken heart left behind.

"Wait, Ayyan, come back!" I grabbed my hijab and followed him. "You can't just leave me hanging."

"What else do you want me to say? I can see it in your eyes, you are tired of living here and there's nothing I can do about it." His eyes showed no emotions — none at all.

"Well, you can at least show me you care. Not everything has to be turned into a fight."

His eyes softened a bit. "I know what you were thinking, Zarah. You thought you could be a Queen and still live your life. It just doesn't work that way and the sooner you wake up and see it, the better for you."

He watched as the hope in my eyes crumbled, piece by piece like a worthless cookie in the hands of a one-year old. "The choice is yours. I'm leaving."

Can I really be the queen he deserves?

My mood was, as expected, glum as I went ahead with what I had planned for the day. I took an extremely long bath to think things through.

Surprisingly, when I came out I still didn't have any idea what I was going to do.

After getting ready, I found a guard who willingly escorted me to the dining room. I have learnt my lesson, now! No more wandering off on my own.

"Morning, Aunty Rarah!" Zoya leapt out of her seat and gave me a hug.

"Good morning, princess. How are you doing?" I carried her with me to my seat.

"I'm fine, Aunty Rarah."

"Zoya, come back here and finish your food! Let your aunt eat too, I'm sure she is famished," said Maryam.

"Hi Maryam, how are you doing today?" I gave her a smile as I sat down near Zoya and opposite Rukayya.

"I'm as good as the mom of a two-year old would be." She grinned.

"So what are we going to do today?" I asked.

They were the only ones left. The rest of the extended family had dispersed. Some have left the country; others to their own homes. All glad that Papi's health was improving.