Chapter 24

Zarah's POV

I knew it was going to be a bad idea once I saw that glint in his eyes. But then I remembered what Aysha told me the other day in the plane.

"You should live a little. Life's too short." She had said.

Taking that in mind, I gave Ayyan a thumbs up. It took a whole lot of convincing before I finally gave him that thumbs-up. I can be pretty adamant.

"What are we even going to do?" I didn't even know what I signed up for. I never asked him while he was busy convincing me nor did he tell me.

"We're going on a picnic." He told me. I was pretty excited. My first picnic with him. My husband.

"Let me go and grab a blanket. Wait for me here." I sat down on one of the benches outside as the cool breeze blew my hijab making it sway.

Runaria has a beautiful weather. It also had to do with the fact that it was spring. The perfect weather. The breeze gently hit my face as I closed my eyes.

"Are you seriously sleeping?"

"No, just relaxing. The weather is really nice." I replied with my eyes still closed.

"Get up. I've got the blanket. Time to get the food.

"Where are we going to get food?" I questioned him, "We can't exactly go to the dining table and grab some food."

"That's why we're going to take some food from the kitchen."

"Will they just give it to us without asking questions? We might look suspicious." What are we even going to tell them when there's food on the dining table?

"You know what? Just hold the blanket and continue whatever it is you're doing. Let me grab the food." I just nodded my head and continued enjoying the cool air.

This should take a while.

I jolted up startled when I heard a touch on my shoulder thinking it was a spider or some other insect. The spider turned out to be my husband holding a basket full of food.

"Glad to see you're awake. Let's go." He grabbed my hand that was blanket-free and interlaced our fingers. He brought our intertwined hands up and gave mine a kiss. 

I blushed and gave him a shy smile to which he gave me a small smile.

We walked side by side in silence. No one was talking just enjoying the weather and the view. It was a comfortable silence. The type of silence that I like and admire. That is until my legs start hurting.

"Ayyan, are we there yet?" We had already passed the second gate according to Ayyan. Though he took me down a different path. I agreed because I could no longer see the guards that filled up the place.

He shook his head.

"We're nearly there. I can carry you if you want."

"Will you give me a piggyback ride?" I never thought he would agree. I was joking but he was actually serious.

He kept the basket by the side and knelt down before me. I managed to get on his back with his help of course, ignoring the tingling sensations that were disturbing me.

"Let's get going then." He muttered as soon as I was comfortable on his back. He held the basket still and I laid the blanket on his back then lied down.

"We're here," Ayyan announced and I looked up. The view was breathtaking. He took me to a lakeside surrounded by trees. The lake was hidden from view.

"This is amazing," Ayyan nodded his head in agreement.

Mountains were on its other side so the only path to it was the one we're coming from. A cliff stood above us adding to the beauty of the place.