Chapter 42.5

Dedicated to sarazubeir. Thank you so much for loving this book! 💘

Zarah's POV

Everything had changed from the last time I was in this house. One, Ayyan, and I were still not on excellent terms; I didn't know about Runaria or was I a queen; I didn't know who the fighters and Asaad were, and I certainly didn't have our baby growing inside of me. A lot had changed in the few months since I had left the house.

But I still regretted not being able to say goodbye.

Everything had changed, yet the house was the same way I had left. If I concentrated enough, I could still smell the pancakes I made the morning we left for Runaria. Back then, everything was simple. I worried about nothing but making sure the marriage worked. I didn't have a psychopathic Shakespeare wannabe guy after my family.

My first stop was the living room. The place we used to watch horror movies and lay sleepless the whole night. I looked around, and my eyes couldn't shy away from the spot Ayyan would normally sit in. I mentally shook my head and continued my survey. It couldn't be the room that Asaad was talking about. There was nothing useful in there. Although it was the first room, it wasn't the room.

I entered the dining room next. I knew the dining room wasn't the room, but I just wanted to see it again. It was the room we first became friends. I could remember it clearly. I confronted Ayyan, and he finally agreed to become friends. It was also the day I slipped on the banana peel, and the day Ayyan created my little nickname. I smiled. We made wonderful memories there.

The kitchen was certainly not it, although I stopped by. The fridge had been emptied, and the cabinets cleared. It was as if no one had ever lived there. I had to admit it broke my heart a little, but Runaria was my future and I had to move on.

I skipped the guest rooms downstairs and went upstairs. I stopped and glanced at the right-wing. A sad smile on my face as I recalled the day Ayyan asked me to stay away from his side. Oh, how things would change for us.

I entered my turquoise room, keeping in mind that it might be the room Asaad kept talking about. Nothing had changed from the last time I saw it. There were still clothes scattered on the bed from when I arranged my suitcase. The entire house had been cleaned, but they left my room untouched. And if it was untouched, could it be the room I was looking for?

The only other room that could be what Asaad was talking about was Ayyan's room. I stepped into the room. It smelled like Ayyan's cologne. Everything in the room reminded me of him. I couldn't help but curl in his bed, clutching the pillow full of his scent. Maybe it was the pregnancy or all the stress getting to me or even jet-lag, but laying in Ayyan's bed alone made me cry.

I cried my heart out. I cried because I had no idea what I was doing. I cried because I made a stupid decision. I cried because Ayyan didn't know where I was. I cried because crying made me feel better.

It wasn't until an hour later that Aysha came back to the house. She and Rukayya had given me some alone time, and we had agreed to meet back here after an hour. By the time she came, I had cleaned up my tears and was reading a book I forgot I had in my room.

"Where's Rukayya?" I asked. They were supposed to be back together.

"Her fiancée is in town, and she went to meet up with him. She said she'd meet us in an hour or so." I nodded. "So, did you find anything?" she asked, lying down on the bed next to me.

I shook my head. Yeah, I had found extra reasons to cry.

"Don't worry, we'll soon find it," she assured me. I gave her a slight smile.