Chapter 42

Dedicated to hey_love_yourself. Thank you so much for sticking with this book. Lots of love. 💘

Zarah's POV

five phases,
four walls,
three wishes,
two people,
one secret.

the answer to it,
lies in the room.

- AH, Fighters.

***

After I had rushed out of our room, I ignored the bows and greetings of the guards and sprinted to Aysha's chambers. I knocked thrice before a sleepy Aysha opened the door.

"Who the hell is distur—Zarah?" I rushed into her arms as hot tears poured down my face. "What's wrong?"

"Can I sleep here?" I croaked out.

"Of course, come in." I still clung to her for another five minutes before stepping into her room. "Trouble in paradise?" she asked, making space for me as I tossed my hijab and his stupid robe on the carpeted floor. I nodded, rubbing my definite red eyes. She didn't ask me what happened. She just hugged me until I laid down beside her.

Aysha's breathing evened out and her hand became sloppy, but it was there. I couldn't sleep. There was no way I could sleep. There were a lot of things I needed answers to. The first one being what was the secret. I had realized that Ayyan knew about the phases, but I was sure it wasn't the secret Asaad kept talking about. I wanted to know so badly, maybe it held all the answers I was looking for.

And I would do whatever it takes to find the truth. Even if it would make or break me.

I sighed. I had to get to the room. Although, I didn't quite know what room he was talking about; I had figured out it wasn't in Runaria. No, it was back home. And I needed to go back.

At first Aysha's hug was what I needed, but then I wanted to leave and she wouldn't let go of me. I wiggled, and she replaced the sloppiness with choking squishing. Who knew Aysha was such a cuddler?

I removed my pillow and pushed her away with it. She released me and hugged the pillow instead. That was intense, I thought. I couldn't go back to our room to get proper clothes on and get some things I needed for my little trip.

What should I do? I couldn't exactly waltz back in and get what I need, it would be so awkward and he might try to stop me. I needed to get a plan. Before Aysha realizes that she was hugging a pillow.

Deciding to first change into Aysha's clothes (we were almost the same size), I went into her closet to get some clothes loose on her, as I was thicker than her. My mind was programming me to not make any noises as I found some comfortable clothes. I didn't want to, but I had no choice.

I looked through Aysha's drawers and found her cards before slipping them in the Gucci bag I had taken from her closet. I couldn't exactly go back and collect my cards. Besides, I needed the money, and I was gonna repay her as soon as I got back.

Making sure I had everything I needed and Aysha was still snoring lightly, I grabbed the doorknob gently. Feverishly praying it didn't make any noise. Alhamdulillah, it didn't. But a guard that was passing by greeted me suspiciously before I closed the door.

It woke Aysha up.

"Who's there?" Aysha sat up on her bed, rubbing her sleepy eyes. I froze. "Zarah? What in the world are you doing? And why are you wearing my clothes?" she asked. Her feet landed on the floor, and she padded to where I was still standing, frozen like a turkey. "Don't tell me you are going to leave. Was it that bad?" Hurt crossed her face as I shook my head.