Chapter 41

A/N:

I'm thinking of writing something like a prequel after I'm done with this. Unfortunately none of the characters you know now will be part of the book. However, it will tell you more about Runarians. It's going to take place some centuries before. So, do you guys want it? If you do, what would you like me to add to it?

Enjoy.

Zarah's POV

I looked at the dollhouse again, then at my husband. The hall was quiet as I waited for him to give me my answer. Ayyan had dismissed the guards when the tension in the room became evident. They would notice, and things would eventually start spreading around the palace.

"Who is AH?" I repeated my question, my eyes cautiously following his every movement.

Sighing, Ayyan spoke up, "Let's talk in our room, okay?" I nodded. Ayyan called the maids to clean up the ballroom and asked a guard to take up the dollhouse to our chamber. It wasn't safe out in the open. Who knew what else they concealed in the creepy thing?

Ayyan's hand that intertwined with mine felt stiff and I knew mine felt rigid too. It was just a formality, and we had to do it. Upon reaching our chamber, the guard bowed, keeping the house aside before leaving. I removed my hand from Ayyan's as I opened the door to our room. Ayyan brought the house inside, keeping it on the floor.

Sensing he wouldn't talk, I snapped, "Just answer the stupid question." He passed me a warning glance which I ignored. I needed to know who in the world AH was, and Ayyan wasn't making it any easier. How did AH know I was pregnant?

What if he tells Ayyan before I tell him?

"You want answers, right? Then sit down first, and calm yourself down," Ayyan said. He was right I was blowing this out of proportion. Taking a huge breath, I calmed some of my nerves before sitting down on the bed next to Ayyan.

"I think I'm ready to hear whatever it is."

"Haven't you ever wondered why I was the crown prince and king now while Dad's still alive?" Ayyan asked. When I thought about it, it made no sense.

"No, not until you told me now," I mumbled. "Why?"

It was time for Ayyan to take in a huge breath. "Dad is Papi's firstborn, Hashim is the second born. Traditionally, the next in line should have been Dad, but he wanted nothing to do with the throne. He said he couldn't deal with the power and authority that came with it. Dad also said that with power comes corruption and greed, and he wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. I was just a baby when Dad left Runaria, Aysha wasn't even born yet.

"Hashim became the next in line, and as Dad had said, he became possessed by greed and power. He wanted more, so he did the unspeakable. He tried to kill Papi to gain access to the throne," Ayyan paused as I gasped. "I was around 17 when Papi banished Hashim from Runaria, and we came for the first visit in years. Papi had said he didn't want anything to do with Dad when he left. Dad still wanted nothing to do with the throne, so I became the crown prince."

"Is that why you don't refer to him as your uncle?" I asked, he nodded. "I'm so sorry. Is he AH?"

Ayyan shook his head. "No, it's his son, Asaad. Asaad Hashim, the person I used to call best friend—" Ayyan paused as his phone rang — "Excuse me," he said to me before leaving the room. I laid back on the bed. I couldn't believe how stupid I was not to realize Dad should have been king. If Asaad was Ayyan's best friend, how come he never spoke about him? Wait, Ayyan did spoke him about. Multiple times even. Why did I never ask Ayyan about him?