Chapter Five♦

True warriors don't beg for help

TRISA'S POV

It's been three days since Troy and I were avoiding each other. Of course, nothing happened that night. I swatted his hand away just as he was getting up to leave. He didn't make another sound for the rest of the night, and neither did I. The time without him felt peaceful. It was peaceful, and it seemed he was the bitter one of the bunch. Even his best friend had a sweet and friendly personality. Anna shocked me when she told me they were inseparable because Marlon was nothing like Troy. Classes started, and they were fun so far, except for Tuesday morning when I got stuck sitting in the seat next to Troy. I ended up tapping my pen on the desk until it broke.

After I left Business Ethics, Career Development was my next class. It took some time to find the room since I didn't know my way around yet. I heard a voice as soon as the door shut behind me. The entire class turned to see who had interrupted them, and I was rooted to the floor in embarrassment.

"Miss Morgan, you're late!" The instructor shouted as he turned from the smartboard. He folded his long slender arms and gave me a stern look. "What's your excuse?"

I stuttered. "Hi. I'm late because you started class earlier than the scheduled time and I had no clue about it." I wouldn't sass at a lecturer, but lately, my defenses were high, and the words left my lips before I thought about them. "May I take a seat?"

The lecturer dropped his arms to his side and shook his bald head, "Sit in an empty seat and try to catch up."

I read his name from the board, Professor Adam Lodderhose.

He turned back to the screen and addressed the class. It was about our first project, worth twenty-five percent of the class grade. "The official due date is one month from now, but I'll accept early submissions. I will email you all the instructions and guidelines by tomorrow." Professor Lodderhose said, "I want five persons per group. You may choose." He said.

"Ugh, I hate this class already," A skinny girl complained while gathering her belongings. "Why did I even come here?"

"Spoiled blondes." I shook my head and laughed at how she wiggled her non-existent ass out of the room and down the hallway.

"Tell me about it," A blonde guy said, "She's rich and spoilt. I'd never date a girl like that." He followed as I descended the stairs. "Name's Michael, call me babe." He stretched for a handshake and gave me the flirtatious eye.

I ignored all his attempts and continued on my way. When I reached a secluded part of the stairs, I felt firm hands pushing me against the wall. My body jolted in shock and the screams got stuck In my throat.

"I want to bend you over, right here. You got a nice ass," Micheal whispered into my left ear. He trailed his tongue down my neck and into my chest.

"Ewe, Get the fuck off of me!" My words finally came out. All attempts to pry him off of me failed. "You piece of shit," I screamed. I slapped him. I kicked him. He was much stronger than a regular person, or maybe I was just weak. My voice grew wheezy as he choked me harder.

He used his free hand to tear my shirt, but before he had time to expose my bare chest, someone ripped him off of me and threw him onto the floor.

I looked up to see Troy beating him. Raging, Troy threw heavy punches into his face until blood oozed from his nose.

I thought Troy would kill him.

When  he felt satisfied, he spat on the concrete beside Michael's beaten body and ran to me. He twirled me round and round, inspecting my body with bloodshot eyes. "Did he hurt you, Fluff?"

"No, I'm fine." I wasn't fine. "I almost got raped."

Troy stared at me for a few seconds. As soon as the tears building up in my eyes showed themselves, he lifted me over his shoulder and rushed toward the elevator.

I wanted him to put me down, but I didn't have the strength to neither say it nor put up a fight. When we reached our dorm, I watched Troy struggle to get the door open. As soon as we were inside, he slammed it shut and put me to lie down. "Thanks."

"Don't sweat it, Fluff," He studied my face with a penetrating stare. "Come here, you don't look okay."

"I'm fine, just a little shocked," I blinked away the teardrops that threatened to fall.

Troy pulled me up, so I was kneeling at the edge of the bed. He hugged me tightly. "I know you're not okay." He whispered.

No one has ever said that to me before, and I didn't know how he knew. It made me feel vulnerable. My walls were coming down for this stranger I'd only met less than a week ago. They were crumbling into his hands and I hated him for it. I hated him for trying to take away my control.

Troy ended up rocking me to sleep. Hours later, when I woke up, I tried to cut the tension filling the room with small talk. "Why were you going to the lecturer halls?"

"I had a class," He replied a-matter-of-factly.

"Oh, but why didn't you still go?"

"Because I carried you up here and I needed to make sure you were okay," Maybe he was bipolar, I couldn't tell. His actions were confusing me.

"I could've come by myself while you went to class. I told you I was okay," I added.

A hissing sound left his lips and a slam of his laptop onto the desk certified his annoyance. "I see you don't need my friendship. Next time, I'll ignore you."

I reached for his hand before he went out into the hallway. "That's not what I meant. I'm just saying you could've still gone to your class."

"Whatever, we don't have to be friends," He barked and slammed the door.

"But, Troy." He left me to figure out what happened. "Maybe Anna can cheer me up," I told myself. I met Anna in the hallway. She was coming to my door. "Hey, I was just coming over," I told her.

Her face lit up with an ear-to-ear grin. "Funny, I was just coming over." Anna threw an arm around my neck and when I didn't hug her back, she frowned. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm just not in the best mood right now." I forced a smile. "Can you cheer me up? I could really use a friend."

"Of course I can, Trissy. Come on." Anna entangled her fingers with mine and we started down the hallway. 

I could feel a headache coming on and the tears were still lingering behind my eyes, ready to fall. My mind was too busy overthinking to hear anything Anna was saying, but one thing stuck out like a sore thumb.

"I'm going to show you how to jump off of a cliff," Anna said, grinning.