Chapter Sixteen♠

That which is worth chasing is not without intricacies

TROY'S POV

When I finished with the afternoon class, Marlon and I headed back to the dorms. It was Trisa's birthday, and I felt more reluctant than ever, to face her. I didn't know how to console someone who just lost their entire family. You can't tell them it will be okay, all you can do is watch them cry.

Even though she said she didn't want me, I was still going to give her a gift, my grandmother's necklace. She gave it to me when I was just a boy, and afraid of the dark. She said it would protect me and it was special to me since she died of heart disease soon after. I didn't know what death was. Now I understood, after watching how people cried in agony when they lost someone. They would never get to talk to, touch, or see that person ever again.

"See you later, man," I told Marlon as we near our doors.

"Yeah." He replied, opening his door, "And for the love of God, don't be cold towards her."

"Dude, she broke up with me, and we barely even started dating," She didn't want me and she made it clear. "I have nothing to say to her, except give her this, and wish her a happy birthday."

Marlon laughed, causing to scratch my head. What was so funny? It was her birthday.

"You're an idiot."

"What?"

"It's not a happy birthday for her. It's not a happy frigging day, overall." He walked into his dorm and shut the door, leaving me to do the same.

"Trisa?" I called, after realizing the room was empty. "Are you in the bathroom?" She didn't answer. I thought she was with Anna and her other friends, so I crossed the hallway and barged into their dorm. "Where's Trisa?" I asked, realizing she wasn't with Anna either.

Marlon looked at Kate, and both look at Anna as if they were hiding something.

"Where the fuck is Trisa? Are you guys deaf?" I asked a little harsher, but still, nobody replied.

They stared at me with wide eyes.

"What?" I asked. I knew they knew where she was. On the desk sat a vase with flowers. I grabbed it and flung it across the room, smashing it against the back wall.

The two girls jumped in fright. Marlon wore an unbothered expression. He had seen my anger at boiling point countless times. "Anna, where is Trisa?" As I direct the question to Anna, Kate sighed.

"She. Um...she uh...uh..." Anna stuttered.

"She what?" I tapped my fingers on the desk.

Marlon said, "She left; she's gone home."

The girls nodded in assurance.

I couldn't believe it. Why would they let her leave by herself? Nobody even thought it was necessary to tell me. "You mean, you knew she was leaving, and you didn't tell me?" I asked. "You let your friend go on a plane alone at this time of her life?"

"Troy, relax, she's fine. Plus, we didn't know she was leaving," Marlon explained.

"And you're all just sitting here like everything is fine when she's all alone. She's probably falling apart."

"She broke up with you, so just drop it." Anna said. It was true, but that didn't mean I didn't care for her. She needed us.

"I see you're happy about that. You were probably jealous the whole time." I said.