Chapter Thirty Seven♥

As far as we know, one who never takes a risk never gets a reward

TRISA'S POV

Seven days. That's how long Janelle's process was. Marlon and I visited the hospital every day but could not see her. Thankfully, there were no complications. Her body accepted the blood and she would soon be awake.

Mr. Wilson made it clear that he wouldn't step a foot out of the house until Janelle came home. For this exact reason, I haven't seen Troy for a hundred and sixty hours. He couldn't stay under the same roof with his father, and I understood. He wasn't mad at me, just hurt by my actions.

While I waited to see Janelle, Troy and Marlon entered Dr. Peters's office. "Troy!" I smiled and leaped into his arms. I missed his warmth in the morning and the mint I tasted on his lips before we went to bed.

"Let's go see mom."

His forwardness somewhat slapped me in the face, but I pretended not to feel a thing. "Okay."
While leading us into the hallway, Marlon minded his business as usual.

Janelle didn't look as pale; her wounds were slowly healing. I could see her chest rise and fall as Troy held her hand in his. Marlon and I sat in two chairs on the other side of the room, smiling in content. For the first time since Janelle got admitted, Troy wore a smile. Teardrops accompanied it, but it was still a smile.

Thank God!

God had answered my prayers. His mother was going to be okay, and Mr. Wilson would leave as soon as she woke up. I wasn't sure if it was a good thing to call him, but it was much too late. What if she didn't want his blood?

"Mom!" Troy yelled, "She's awake. She's fucking awake!"

I scrambled to my feet at his declaration. This was the moment we all anticipated. "Call Dr. Peters," I told Marlon right away.

"Thank you so much, Fluff." He pulled me into a hug.

"Troy, I got you; Know that." A genuine smile made its way onto his face and he pecked my lips with it.

"Welcome back to the world, Mrs. Wilson," Dr. Peters said from the doorway. "let me examine her, will you?"

After a few minutes, we reentered the room and Dr. Peters updated us on how things go forward. They would keep Mrs. Wilson overnight for observation, and if things were looking good, she could go home.

After Dr. Peters left the room, Janelle exploded. "Son, I know you did what you thought was best, but I honestly would have preferred if you let me die."

"Janelle, we didn't ha-" Marlon and I butted in, but Janelle cut us off.

"That bastard's blood is like poison running in my veins."

"You nearly fucking died, and this is what you wanna say, mom?" I could hear the cracks in Troy's voice and it broke me to see him like that. I knew one emotional drain to another exhausted him, and I was half to blame. "I fucking despise him, but I'm not him. You can at least be nice to me this once, mom," He sniffled. "You know how it feels to watch you lay half-dead, every day?"

"Babe," I called, walking after him. He shook his head to say, not now. It hurt that I couldn't make it better. He dropped his shoulders and continued out the door.

"Wait," Janelle said, "Son, I'm sorry." Troy halted in the hallway, scratched the back of his head, and slowly turned around. A shocked expression was plastered across his face. He opened his mouth to speak but his words were mute.

"We'll be by Dr. Peters's office," Marlon mumbled and dragged me out of the room. Troy walked in and closed the door behind him. As we walked, I wondered why they were so harsh against each other.

"She's never apologized for anything before, especially not to Troy," Marlon told me.

"Oh." It didn't surprise me, because now that she was awake, I was back to walking on eggshells. For such a slim woman, she had a big voice and an even bigger personality. I guess that's why Troy was so intimidating at first, he got a double dose of everything, from both parents. They were so alike and it puzzled me how the never got along.

TROY'S POV

I sat next to her on the bed. I could hear my heart banging against my chest as she's never apologized to me before. I helped her shuffle up against the pillow and she cleared her throat.

Did she wake up just to die on me?

Is this her deathbed confession?

"Troy." Mom slapped my hand, yanking me out of my thoughts. I could see her mouth moving, but I couldn't hear a thing she was saying. I just stared at her with a blank expression until the water in her goblet leaped out onto my face.

"What the fuck?"

"Boy, do not zone out while I'm talking to you." I rolled my eyes because deep down, I was ecstatic that she finally woke up.

"Ok," I said.

"Good." She cleared her throat and spoke again. "My family disowned me after I married Dolian. I had just turned eighteen and blinded by love." she relaxed further into the pillow before continuing. "We moved here, and I got pregnant rather quickly. That's when his colors started appearing all over my body." faintly, I remembered many scars on her body. I saw them as a child.
"Then one day, he put me out of his home. The following week, I saw in the papers, he separated us. It devastated me for months, and the doctors begged me to keep it together for you." she stretched her hand to my face and stroke it gently. I felt bad for her. Had I known this was what she went through, I would've been a better son.
"So I did, I chased away my feelings. I liked it so much when I felt nothing that I never realized I was hurting you. I only recognized when I heard you pouring out your heart whenever you came here."

"You heard?" Suddenly, I felt embarrassed. She heard every word I said, from how much I loved her to how much I hated her.

"I'm very sorry, son, for being so harsh and cold towards you." She bowed her head and avoided my gaze. I didn't know what to say. I only hated my father more.

"It's okay mom, I get it," I said. "You should rest so you can come home tomorrow." She shook her head, and I helped her onto her back. After about a minute, I left the room.