♥Chapter Seventeen

In times of need, God puts people on your path, as a shoulder to rest your burdens.

TRISA'S POV

The note in the box baffled me deeply. I stood in the kitchen for a few minutes, before deciding to shove it to the back of my mind and settle with the task at hand. I called the detective just before I left the airport, and he requested to meet me this evening, at the police station.

On my way to the living room, I crashed into someone. The collision caused me to fall and when I looked up to see the offender, surprise and confusion washed over all my features.

"Troy?" He wore a grey shirt and a pair of jeans just like the guy at the door earlier. Why was he here and most importantly, how did he know where I lived? I was never specific about my address with anyone.

He stared at me with a guilty expression.

"Troy, how did you get here?" I asked, standing to face him, but instead, I faced his chest. I put my hands at my waist and glared up at him, awaiting an answer.

"I have my ways, Fluff." He admitted and strode towards the couch, where he sat beside Marlon. Of course, he would follow him here. I didn't need them here.

"And you? You followed him here and broke into my house?" I stared at Marlon, who scratched his head.

"Well, you see, when we found out you were gone, Troy went crazy," Marlon said," And in my defense, he technically forced me to tag along."

"The last time I checked, I specifically told you I can't do this with you, Troy, so why are you here?" It was only a matter of time before he left me, and I didn't wish anyone else to desert me.

He glared at me before getting up and stalking closer. His hands held my shoulders, and he rested his forehead against mine. I braced myself for the earthquake he was going to inflict on my body, but even after what felt like minutes, it never came. He spoke in a hushed tone instead.

"I don't give a fuck what you said, and I don't care what you think you need. You can't waddle your fat little ass away from me."

His daring words slapped me square In the face as he breathed them out. The closeness between us held me captive, as his breath tickled every inch of my face. I felt naked under him; eyes forced shut, as a defense to keep covered what was left of my wounded soul.

He lifted his head slowly, and soon after, I felt the coldness of his lips against my forehead. They lingered there before he spoke again. "You are mine."

With that, he simply walked to the luggage at the door and dragged them up the stairs. I stood planted in my spot. MAYDAY! MAYDAY! My brain and my heart just collided, no survivors.

I didn't notice an amused Marlon walking up to me and waving his hand across my face. "You just ate three flies, Trisa." He laughed, using his fingers to push up my chin, closing my mouth.

"Asshole," I muttered, running up the stairs and almost falling in the process. "Troy!" I yelled, banging on each of the bedroom doors. I wasn't sure which one he had settled his unwelcomed ass into. I found him peeking at some photos of me and my sister. I had made a little bulletin board for her memories and kept it on a wall inside my bedroom. "You can't tell me what I want, Troy. I need you to leave," I said. I etched closer to him and sat on the edge of the bed, "I rather deal with all the loss right now because I know one day you'll walk away from me, and I won't be able to deal with it. Please, just leave now."

Different emotions flooded his face as he knelt in front of me. His once tensed features softened as he spoke, "I get that you're afraid I might leave you one day. I get that it hurts when you lose someone you love, but feel this." He took my hand and rested my palm against the place over his heart. His chest vibrated with every thump. "Whenever you're near me, every single cell in my body wakes up. Meeting you is like finding a glass of water in the middle of a desert. Your feistiness pisses me off, but I would rather have a sassy Trisa nagging me every day than no Trisa at all. I love you so fucking much, baby girl."

I was so taken aback by his expressions that my mouth fell open a few times. He confessed his love for me before, but I didn't imagine he meant it that deeply. I didn't know what to say, and even when I thought of something, the sound still got stuck in my throat. He looked fearful, hopeful, sad, and vulnerable. I wasn't sure what to say, torn between telling him to leave and forget me and falling into his embrace. He had  such a sincere look on his face; I believed every word he said.

He seemed to have been waiting for me to say something as the tears in the corners of his eyes fell one by one. "I'm staying. Please don't push me away."

I was never fortunate enough to behold a man's bareness in front of me. "I'm scared." I said.

"That's okay, baby girl, I got you." He pulled a necklace from his pocket and placed it in my hand. "Happy birthday, Fluff."

"It's my birthday?" I forgot it was my birthday. The day I usually exhaust with Jessica, shopping, and watching our favorite series. Sometimes even my mum would watch them with us and gawk over hot young guys. Today, all I had was the ashes of all their remains and not even a best friend to hold me.

"Yeah, I'm sorry it had to turn out this way. My grandmother gave this to me when I was younger."

"Thank you." I forced a polite smile. "Why do you love me?"

He chuckled at my question and sat next to me. He pushed a couple of loose hairs behind my ear and wore the most beautiful smile. It was warm and genuine and irresistible. "I have an urge to take care of you. I feel like I can be myself when I'm with you; I don't feel pressured to pretend. Plus, you're so beautiful. You drive me crazy. And I know I don't deserve you, but I want to make you happy."

I smiled. "You drive me crazy too, Troy. I hate you, but I love you so much more. Your arrogance scares me, but at the same time, I feel the safest in your arms. It feels like I'm losing control and it's hard to trust you with so much of me. that's why I can't..." Before I could finish, he crashed his lips against mine and it took my breath away. Somehow, it felt like our first kiss all over again, and I squandered no time surrendering my mouth to him. I melted into his arms as butterflies fluttered in my stomach. My body warmed with passion and we soon pulled away, panting. My face flushed red beneath his gaze.

"That's exactly why you should, fluff. Deep down you know you crave me just like I know I crave you." He held my face with both hands and rested his forehead against mine. 

His warm breath tickled my lips and I threw my arms around his neck and pulled him into a soul crushing hug. He wasted no time drawing me closer. His arms were warm and home. I filled my nose with the scent from the crook of his neck. It was intoxicating. A peaceful silence enveloped us, then I remembered my family was gone forever.