♥Chapter Eight

It is only fair, that we lose the chances we don't take.

TRISA'S POV

I collected my pizza from the woman behind the counter and turned on my heels to devour it while watching cartoons on my laptop. I hated how Troy tried to control everyone around him. He was losing a few screws if he thought I'd let him control me too. I rested my elbows on top of a graffitied table and fixed my earphones in my ears. 

About halfway through my lunch, I noticed someone walking up to me. She stopped a few meters away, put her hands on her hips, and stared at me. 

"Can I help you?" I didn't know who she was, but she seemed to know me.

"Yes." She fiddled with the fake black hair that flowed to her waist. "Troy is mine."

"Congratulations. Would you like a sticker?" I rolled my eyes. "Take him." Deep down, her height intimidated me a little, so I thought it was best to rush away before things escalated. God knows I couldn't back my words if push came to shove. "While you're at it, take his toothpaste too, your breath stinks."

The fake barbie grabbed my hand and squeezed it, "Next time you're in trouble he won't save you." 

"Trust me, it would delight me if you put a leech on him," I couldn't believe someone could be dumb enough to want to fight for Troy. "You know, so he doesn't come running to me like a lost puppy." As far as I saw, this girl was in a relationship with Troy and he wasn't in one with her. She was suffering from a serious case of dumb bitch syndrome. 

Her mouth fell open, and she closed it, only for it to hit the ground again. 

I screamed when I felt something move between my breast. I nearly tore out my bra looking for the insect which turned out to be my phone. It was Jess calling. I knew even though she had her own drama to deal with, there was always space for mine.   

The phone rang twice before she answered, "So you ain't dead?"

"I am, Jess." I laughed. "This is my ghost speaking." I could imagine her rolling her eyes and using one hand to cover her mouth. One chipped canine when we were five and she never showed her teeth again. 

"Coming home for Christmas? I miss you."

I didn't want to think about home. Somehow it was easier not to reminisce about the people I loved. If I went home for Christmas, I wouldn't want to leave again. "I don't know yet, I'll call you when I decide." College was a lot harder than I thought. There was a lot more of everything. Suddenly, high school was over, and I was on the verge of adulthood. My problems were bigger now and much more complicated.  

"Okay, love ya. Bye." 

I knew Jess knew there was only a slim chance I'd come home, but she was still being hopeful. "Love you too, bye." At the dorms, I noticed Anna's door cracked open, so I poked my head inside to say hi. She wasn't there, but Marlon was. He stood at the desk with his back turned to the door. "Nice shirt," I called.

"Thanks," He said. "I just got it. I'm glad you like it." He turned around, and it disappointed me to see it wasn't Marlon. It was Troy. They looked alike from behind and they even had similar complexion.

"Now that you turned around, it doesn't look that good," I spun on my heels and darted across the hall. Troy was very attractive, and the huskiness in his voice was sexy. But even with all that, I still couldn't stand his personality. He was too full of himself, too bossy, selfish, and inconsiderate.

"I didn't mean to dull your smile a while ago," Troy said from the doorway.

"It's fine, you dull my smile every day."