★Chapter Thirty Eight

Be grateful, least you blessings turn to ash

TROY'S POV

Things were finally looking up again. All I needed now, was for that bastard to leave and never come back. At first, they upset me by calling him, but then I realized I gained much more than I lost. I learned things about my mother that I never knew before. She wasn't a terrible mother, just broken. All along, I thought she didn't love me when she just didn't know how to show it anymore.

I was eager to get home, not to see my father, but to get the chance to give him a piece of my mind. I was better off not knowing anything about him. Fluff and Marlon had left for the hospital to pick up mom after she got discharged while I headed in town to buy a few necessities. I tossed the bags into the back seat and drove home in silence. I knew it wouldn't be easy to face my father, but I couldn't let him see that his presence still affected me. As soon as I parked outside the garage, I headed inside.

I met Aaron coming from the kitchen. "Get the bags from the car and set up the thing I told you about," I said.

"Yes, Troy." He headed outside, leaving me in the living room. The house was dead silent, and I wondered if mom already arrived and chased away the bastard. I wanted to slam his head against a wall and stab him in the heart with a blunt dagger. I wanted badly for him to feel the agony he put us through. The only thing I was going to do was forgive myself for blaming mom and loving him when I was young and foolish.

While dosing off on the couch, a hand on my shoulders frightened me.

"Don't be so hysterical, who else could it be?" It was my father.

"Don't fucking touch me," I bellowed.

He scoffed and sat on a chair opposite me, then hoisted his legs up on the coffee table, just as I did, and folded his arms. "Son, I know I owe you an explanation, but just wait for Janelle to get here."

I scoffed. "Save your fucking sob story and get the fuck out." we locked eyes for a few seconds before he looked away. I was tearing apart inside. Why did he have to be an asshole? "Mom doesn't want to see you, you're dead to us."

I watched as he stood and stalked toward me. He stopped in front of me and smirked. "Janelle will always love me, boy."

The moment the words left his lips, my left palm crashed against his face; his hand flew to soothe the spot. "I will fucking kill you if you touch her." I grabbed him by the neck though he stood firm. He was much stronger than me but my anger multiplied my strength. He held my neck also, and we struggled against each other, knocking over furniture and vases.

"Get your fucking hands off my son." Mom's voice halted our fight. Dolian seemed taken aback by the authority she spoke with as he straightened his clothes.

"Janelle, love, it's been a long time," He walked toward her.

Mom let out a boisterous laugh. When Dolian was just centimeters away, she looked him up and down and spoke, "This isn't the Janelle you used to know, Dolian." she stretched her hand to Trisa who handed her a large brown envelope. She tossed it into his chest and smirked. "You have been served. Sign it so we can finally be divorced, and you can piss off and die a tragic death."

Mom's confidence surprised Dolian. confusion washed his face as he stumbled backward. I could tell he never expected her to stand up to him.

"Sign the fucking papers and get out," I barked as he neared me. "You are a sorry excuse for a father and a husband. It's a fucking shame that I look like you because I despise you."

Mom folded her arms while he signed the divorce papers and Fluff stood as silent as a lamb at the door. When he finished, he handed the papers back to mom. "Now, get lost, loser." Mom and I said in unison. He sighed and steered toward the door.

"Oh, and do tell your dear sweetheart, to stop coming to my office to blow my employees," Mom scoffed. I tried to hold back a laugh but it was too much. After all, he did leave mom for her. It was so sad that after twenty years, he finally realized the mistake he made. Mom deserved so much better and finally, she could get it.

"I love you mom," I said and pulled her into a hug. She held me tighter and buried her face into my neck. I could feel her tears seeping through my shirt and I knew they were tears of joy. "Mom, I'm sorry for blaming you and for making things harder than they already were. You're a superwoman."

"Son, it is my job to take your shitty attitude." I could feel her smiling into my neck. "You are difficult to deal with, but that is not my problem now," She chuckled. "Trisa, join us." Trisa entered the hug and we stood there for a while, in content.

"where's my hug?" Marlon said after closing to door.

"You coward, I know he scares the shit outa you, "I said to Marlon. I knew that's why he didn't come inside.

"Bro, I knew y'all could handle it," Marlon said. "Plus, your thing is ready. Aaron says he's almost done."

"Awesome, Dude."

"Boys, if you want privacy, just say so," Mom said, rolling her eyes at the two of us. "Come on, Trisa, what do you say about a trip to the salon?"

Trisa looked at me for permission. She was still very much frightened by my mother. Her eyes plead with me to disagree, but I didn't. Mom was alright now. She would be in good hands and they both needed to relax.

"Go, Fluff, it'll be fun."

"Okay, sure, Mrs. Wilson... Janelle," Fluff said. She pulled me back into a hug and bit my ear. "Asshole."

"I love you too, babe." She rolled her eyes and walked out behind mom.