Chapter Twenty Four♦

Once you believe a lie, it becomes your truth

TRISA'S POV

"This doesn't mean you will start throwing hate around the place but..."

"Just say it already, you fucking midget!" I yelled and slammed my hand onto the tabletop.

"I am your real father."

At first, it seemed like the joke of the century. I was not a midget like him and my mother would never sleep with him. "Thank you for the joke." I felt Troy stiffen behind me. I couldn't tell if he found the situation funny or awkward. I had no reason to feel the latter though because this man wasn't my father.

The man motioned for his guard to bring the briefcase then handed me an envelope from it. "I told you I have proof."

After procrastinating, I flipped open the envelope and drew three pieces of documents. Two copies of my birth certificate, and a DNA test result. "What the fuck is this?" I couldn't come to terms with the revelation. My whole life had been a lie and suddenly, everything became numb.

"You're my daughter." he cleared his throat. "I know you recognize me from your childhood. I was your father's boss and good friend until he started stealing from me." 

Duplicity was never a trait I say in my mother, but I guess you can't see what isn't revealed to you. "Whatever ." I pooh-poohed. "I have exams to get back to."

His face fell as he saw himself out. He didn't collect the documents and I didn't care to keep them. The DNA test said he was my biological father, but I would continue living the lie. I had been doing so quite comfortably.

"Fluff, are you sure you don't wanna talk about it?"

"Yeah, I just wanna go back to classes." I slid the chair back and faced him. We locked eyes for a few seconds before I forced myself to look away. "I don't want to talk, all is good."

He shook his head and stepped away without responding. I guess it was becoming too much for him to handle. My life was fucking chaotic, and I just wanted to barricade it in. No one else needed to pity me.

He went ahead to date someone else, and he would make her his family. I pushed him to it, so I might as well accept it. A few hours passed, with utter silence in the house. We packed our stuff and got ready to leave.

His mother had sent the jet to bring us back to Flowerville. Silence hijacked the jet the entire way home. I was afraid any more silence between us would break me.

The moment the driver pulled up before the huge steps I bolted out of the jeep. I let out a breath when I found the elevator empty.  My luggage was still at the jeep and I assumed Troy would bring it up. He had the driver to help him and I didn't have the strength to do it myself.

I didn't realize how much I missed Anna and Kate until I reached my dorm. Instead of going in, I flung Anna's door open in excitement. The sight shocked me. Their faces quickly turned to notice me standing in the doorway with my mouth wide open. I caught Marlon and Anna making out. "Uhm, I'll come back later." I turned on my heels but was restricted from going out by being tackled with a bear hug. I was selfish to lock her out like that.

"You're crushing me."

"Oh, sorry." They released me but still didn't step away. "I'm so mad at you! I missed you! I was so worried! You left without telling me! I missed you so much, Tris." She babbled on, causing me to crack a smile.

I then pulled her into another hug. "I'm sorry."

"Hey, it's okay, you're here now." Marlon met Troy in the hallway and they entered our dorm.  He didn't bother to say anything to me, and I was more than glad. Since we were back, he could rid himself of me for good.

"So, you and Marlon huh?" I teased.

Anna blushed a bright red and hid her pearly whites behind her hands.

"Fine don't tell me."

I pretended to walk away so she would stop me. I knew it was killing her to talk about how amazing he is. "He's so amazing." She blurted. The joy and excitement in her voice were so infectious I couldn't help but sit at her desk with my hands beneath my chin. 

"I never knew I liked him, Tris," She began. "When Troy called and told me Marlon was Kidnapped, I got so worried. When he came back that day, it caught me off guard. I had just come out of the shower." She smiled at the memory and I could see the happiness in her face. "I tackled him with a hug. We were so surprised because we never hug."

"Awwe, your story sounds like a fairy tale. I'm happy for you Anna." I told her. "Marlon is a sweetheart."

"Yeah, he is." Marlon walked into the room with a frown. He looked at Anna then back at me. I took it as the time to get lost.

"I'm sorry about everything Okay," I told him before walking out.

Troy was on his way back from the bathroom. He had left my luggage on my bed. "Thanks for bringing my bags."

"You're welcome fluff." I smiled at the nickname. I didn't think he was still going to call me that. I unpacked with my headphones plugged in. I didn't notice I began to sway my hips to the beat of the music until I felt two hands guiding my waistline. It was Troy. His cheeky smile drifted when I pulled out the headphones and stared at him. 

 "What are you doing?" I asked.

"Nothing," he blushed. He usually hid the small elements of his character, but now he didn't. "You're just so beautiful."

"Oh, aren't you talking to someone else?" He raked his hand through his hair and sighed. I didn't notice he changed his hair. It was now faded to the side, which suited him even more. God, he was beautiful.

"That's what you want." Unsure if that was a statement or a question, I decided to still speak my mind. "It's just you said you were texting someone who wanted..."

"So, now you're believing the things I say? Wow." He shook his head and paced across the room. He brought out his phone and buried his attention into it.

 "What is that supposed to mean, Troy?" I marched behind him and stood at the foot of his bed. My question fell on deaf ears, as he pretended not to notice me anymore. "Troy?" With still no acknowledgment I grabbed his phone and tossed it into the bed next to him.

"What?"

"Answer me."

"How many times have I told you how much I love you? So many times I've said I need you in my life. I told you countless times how you drive me crazy and I don't wanna be without you. How many times have I told you, Trisa, that it's you I want and no one else? You never believed any of that."

Was he right? I didn't know, but I hoped he wasn't, for the sake of both our hearts. I felt like an asshole without a comeback. I couldnt even look in his eyes. All I could do was wallow in the shame of guilt. With shoulders dropped and eyes on the ground, I stood there like a fool.

"But, you choose to believe me the one time lie to you. I don't understand women at all."

"Troy I..."

 He cut me off. "I don't wanna hear it, Fluff. I just don't understand how you manage to not see that I literally throw myself at your feet. You push everyone away like we're all monsters preying at you." The teardrops filled his eyes so much that they cascaded down his cheeks and made small wet spots on his shirt.

I moved to wipe them away but he swatted my hand from his face.

"Trisa, you aren't the only one with emotions. I have a heart too," He sniffled.

I felt like shit, hearing him call me out on all these things. The worst thing was that I couldn't deny any of it. he was right, I did push him away to selfishely save myself.

"I feel things." With that, he wiped away the last drop of tears and turned his back to me. 

I stared at him like an idiot. I was always mad at him. It was his turn to be mad at me and I didn't know how to deal with it. I didnt know what I wanted anymore or what he wanted. The truth was, I didnt know anything anymore except that the way i felt about Troy was undeniable. It was too late now though.