♦Chapter Twenty Nine

Love knows no conditions

TROY'S POV

Mom informed me she had a houseguest. I didn't care, since I wouldn't meet whoever it was. Three days had passed since I came home. I kept wondering if I should go back. I felt bad for leaving Trisa alone at Flowerville. It was summer and she wouldn't be going home since she had no one to go home to. I should've taken her with me. I groaned and got out of bed. Eventually, I would put the idea that lingered in my head in motion. I picked the phone from the dresser after it vibrated a second time.

"Yeah, bro?" I answered the phone.

"Trisa left," Marlon let out in a low tone. It took me a few seconds to register what he said. It couldn't be true.

"With who? To where? When?" I questioned in disbelief.

"I don't know." Marlon cleared his throat and whispered the last part. "With some dude in a suit."

Anger boiled in my veins. I flung the phone across the room in a rage. It smashed into the wall. She probably found out I left. It was fucked up that even though she had all rights to leave with someone else, I wanted her still.

"She's fucking mine!" I yelled. Didn't she know that I love her? I dried the tears that fell from my eyes as my bedroom door busted open.

My mom revealed herself with her makeup half done. "What happened?" She polled.

I looked at her standing in no doorway, wishing it was Trisa running to me. I guessed that wouldn't happen again. I pushed her away. "She left? She fucking left."

Mom looked at me with questioning eyes. "Who left?"

"Trisa is not Flowerville. It's too late to tell her." I sobbed.

"It is never too late Son," Mom reminded, "Clean up this pity party act and I will bring her to you."

"But mom, she's-"

"Don't but me boy." Mom advised and stalked closer to me. She held my face with both hands and spoke again, "Be the man I raised, not the boy your father was." With that, she left a soft kiss on my forehead and walked out. I slammed the door shut behind her in anger. I was nothing like my sperm donor of a father. She knew I hated his guts, yet she compared me to him.

When I was younger, she spoke of how he left her when she needed him most. She was young, pregnant, alone, and lucky to have a few dollars in her account. After she gave birth to me, she invested in her first hair salon. Soon after, she was reaping the fruit of her labor and sowing more seeds. She launched her perfume and body lotion line named after herself, Janelle.

As I descended the stairs, the scent of freshly baked banana bread hit my nostrils. It surprised me to find slices of banana bread displayed on the dining table. I figured mom had made them as an apology for bringing up my father. I shrugged and took a slice, then returned to my bedroom where I ate it. The flavor was so rich. Pieces of chocolate melted into it and a taste of almond settled on my tongue. As soon as I was through, I went downstairs for another slice. Soon the sweetness forced me Into a slumber.

Normally, Trisa entering my dreams was a good thing, but this time was different. She had a boyfriend. The sight of her making out under the stars with someone else, forced me awake.

"Fuck!" I cursed. I remembered Mom's promise. I knew she would come through with it as she always follows through with her promises, so I put my plan in motion. First, I invited the boys over to help me.

When they arrived, I informed them of the plan and we got to work. Marlon and Dayton made sure I looked irresistible and the others readied the gazebo in the backyard. Kareem, being the sentimental one, assisted me with my words.

"Dude, you sure about this?" Kareem questioned, after throwing himself onto the bed next to me.

"Yeah, dude. I love her," I responded truthfully. I wasn't sure which of us was hurting more, but I knew I needed to say I was sorry.

"Bro, she hurt you-" Kareem began, but I cut him off before he finished. I knew exactly what he was going to say. She didn't deserve me because she pushed me away, and blah blah blah.

"I don't care what she did. She is imperfect and so am I."

"Whatever you say, man," Kareem said, surrendering his hands in the air. "So... What will you tell her?"

"That I'm fucking sorry," I told him. He laughed at my choice of words. That was the only way I could express what I felt. All the guilt of my negligence built up inside me was on the verge of breaking through.

I knew Trisa wasn't perfect. She would make mistakes and do stupid things, but I loved her still. I loved her past all her feistiness and her selfishness and thoughtlessness. I needed her to know that I was sorry for being an idiot. Initially, I didn't know how to be a boyfriend, but over time I had a good idea. I needed to be the one person she runs to with news of whatnot and the person to take care of all her needs.

I realized that the difference between a good man and a terrible man is a man that tries. If I was going to love her, I had to do it the right way, because if it has conditions, it's not pure love.

As soon as my mother returned from the office, I informed her of my plans. "Mom, I'm ready to see her."

"Saturday," She replied. It was only a few days till then, but I was eager. I had so much to say to her and I hoped she would hear me out. I hoped she would listen and understand my reasons.

"Okay," I agreed. Mom nodded and proceeded down the halls. I wasn't okay with it, but I was grateful she would go out of her way to get Trisa here. I knew it would be a task for whoever she sent, as Trisa was one with a fiery personality.

All I could do was wait for Saturday to arrive.