★Chapter Twenty Three

Where does love go?

TROY'S POV

So this was what a broken heart felt like. I had Trisa on a pedestal. Maybe it was my hearts way of believing that after all the hearts I broke, I'd fall in love with someone who loved me back. I put myself and my best friend's life in danger to protect her, and she still wanted me to leave. With me right next to her, she still felt alone. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her as my family but as much as I wanted to believe that she meant it when she said she loved me, I knew she didn't. "Nice shot karma." My words slurred into the half-empty whiskey bottle.

I had never been the type to get drunk, but the pain of rejection was too much to deal with. It broke my heart that Trisa was happy to hear that I was talking to someone else. She smiled like she couldn't wait to get rid of me. Even after I poured out my heart to her, she still couldn't see through me. I was only texting my mother about the whole gang fiasco. I could never choose someone else over her, but I guess she wanted me to.

I don't know how the night ended, except that I woke up reeking of alcohol. My head pounded as I stumbled down the stairs and into the kitchen. I was hoping to find some painkillers, but couldn't make it all the way. I fell over the dining table.

"Troy!" Her sweet morning voice squeaked as she bumped into me. She had this weird thing to walk with her eyes closed, right after she woke up, saying her eyes needed to adjust to being awake.

I looked up at her then back at my reflection in the patio door.

"Why did you do this to yourself, you don't drink?" She seemed a bit worried, but I could tell it was just a facade like every other time she pretended to care about my bruises.

"You don't love me, so why pretend to care?" 

"Im not the only girl in the world, Troy." She helped me into a chair and got an Advil and a glass of water, which she handed me.

"No shit, Sherlock. I'm not blind," I choked out In an annoyed tone, but deep down it hurt me. "My heart is," I whispered the latter with hopes that she didn't hear it, but she still did.

"What was that?"

"Thanks for the Advil. " I sidestepped her question. "Mom said the gang is here. They need to talk to you, not kill you."

Her eyes widened at my words. "No!"

"Relax, I will protect you if you feel threatened." My mother had told me everything about the gang, and it turned out there's a whole other story behind everything, which Trisa needed to hear. Marlon was sent back home and wasn't harmed one bit. They were only trying to scare her into seeing them, which is weird. He could've just show up and be civil about his intentions.

"But, I'm scared." She sat across from me and rested her face in her palms. I couldn't help but drool at her beauty; the way her hair looked messy in a bun, but still so cute. A few strands often fall on her face.

"They're already on their way, so you don't have a choice." 

Her eyes widened and she jumped at the sudden knock at the front door.

"Calm down." I felt relieved that the headache was slowly going away because even though mom had sorted out the situation, I still felt a bit protective and untrusting. I shuffled to the door and swiftly opened it revealing three trampling muscular guys suited in sleek black tucks. 

"Boss demands to speak with the girl privately." One of them spoke. His voice was very rough.

"Well, send him in, there's plenty of privacy here." The guy who spoke gestured for the others to fetch their boss and when they returned, I choked back a laugh. I stepped aside to allow them entrance but only their boss and one other man entered. I led them into the dining room, where Trisa was already seated. She dashed out of the chair and fell onto the hard kitchen tiles in fright. "Trisa, you okay?" I knelt at her feet.

"He looks...he looks..." she cleared her eyes as if she saw a ghost that wouldn't go away. I didn't understand why.

The boss had quite the appearance. He was a midget. "Sit here, it's okay, I'm right behind you. " I assured, directing her back to the dining table, where the kicking midget had taken occupancy.

He cleared his throat and spoke, "Leave us."

"Uh, no. I'm not leaving my girl alone with you midget ass." His guard moved as if to force me ou,t but was asked to stay back.

"Fine, she's gon' need you, anyway." He settled into his seat and turned to Trisa. She squirmed in her seat.

"I know your father ain't said none of this to you, but listen keenly." I massaged Trisa's shoulders with hopes of calming her a little. I had no idea what he was about to say, but from the looks of things, it didn't seem favorable.

"Listen," He cleared his throat and continued. "Whatever I'm gonna say is all facts, and I have the proof right there in my briefcase, so don't ask any questions until I'm through."

I was on edge waiting for him to say what the fuck he had to, but he kept stalling and I knew I was only feeling the tip of what Trisa was.

"Get me some iced water," He said.

I motioned for his guard to get it from the fridge and he hesitated but went along anyway.

"Ahh." He finished the glass of water then spoke again. "This doesn't mean you are gonna start throwing hate around the place but..."

"Just say it already fucking midget!" Trisa yelled slamming her hand onto the tabletop.