Chapter Fourteen♦

The thing most feared about love is knowing it comes with pain

TRISA'S POV

Troy looked at me one last time before walking out of Anna's room and closing the door behind him.

"I thought you said you guys were good, Tris," Anna blurted, right after the door closed, "He nearly lost his temper."

He told me to wait for him to return, but it wasn't a big deal. Troy was just too possessive. I liked that he wanted to take care of me, but I didn't want him to do everything or to control me. "It's complicated, Anna," I Said, trying to ditch the conversation, but Kate wouldn't have that either.

"No, it isn't. You went behind his back, girl." Kate said.

"So what? It's not a big deal, and he can't tell me what to do. I'm not a child."

"He's only trying to be a good guy for you, Tris," Anna told me while gently massaging my shoulders. She was good with her hands and knew exactly where to rub. It soothed my body, but unfortunately, not my mind.

"I know, but I'm scared guys," I let out a sigh. "I don't want to end up like my sister."

"Hey, he might be an asshole, but he's not gonna do that to you," Kate said, holding my face with both hands. She forced me to look at her before continuing. "So just lighten up a little, and let that fucking Greek God love you, okay?" She finished, causing Anna and me to chuckle.

I had nothing to lose, except my heart. The same heart that I carelessly handed him on a gold platter. The asshole side of him scared me a little more than I would admit. But I liked him. He was so contagious. "Ha, I like him too, anyway. I might as well give him a break."

"And get some dick too. You're so damn tense." They teased, causing my face to turn a bright red. I was hardly the sex talk type.

"Whatever," I laughed. "Thanks, guys, you're the best." We did a group hug before Kate and I pulled away to leave.

"I have a date soon, so see y'all later, okay," Kate said, then grabbed her bag pack and her phone.

"Have fun." Anna and I said in unison.

Kate closed the door behind her, and I grabbed my bag pack and phone as well. "Later, Anna."

"Later, and don't pick a fight with him." I ignored her last statement, knowing a fight was already in the making. I knew I upset Troy because I didn't wait for him to return with the ointment. He was overreacting because it's not like Anna was stealing me from him. Nobody could.

Vvvpppp.

My phone vibrated in my hand. It was a number I didn't recognize, except the area code was from home. Maybe somebody changed their number. I thought, answering it swiftly.

"Hello."

"Good evening, am I speaking with Miss Trisa Morgan?" The voice asked.

"Uh, yeah who is this?"

"I'm detective Cleveland." The voice said. "I'm afraid I have some bad news for you, ma'am."

"What," I asked. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"Ma'am, there was an accident with your family. According to your father's friend, they were coming to surprise you tomorrow, but a gasoline truck exploded and claimed everyone in a fire. I'm sorry for your loss."

"WHAT! NO! NO! NO!"

"Ma'am, I'm sorry for your loss. Please, take some time to process this information, but we need you home to sort things out by the end of the week."