CHAPTER 18: "No Ira-Mom's Dying."

Samaara

As I walk through the corridors of the hospital building, I suddenly have a feeling that I don't want to visit my Mom. It's as if seeing her like that, in the weak condition would only cause me pain. I really hope I'm wrong and she's improving.

I take a deep breath and push out the glass door of my mother's room. As I walk inside, the sight of her laying there on the bed, and sleeping hurts me. She's so weak. I make my way further inside and sit down on the stool next to her bed and it suddenly strikes me. She's not moving. My hand unwillingly goes up to her nose to check her breathing. This can't happen no.

She's not breathing. No!

"Doctor! Nurse!" I immediately rush out of the room to call the doctor only to bump into him.

"Miss Varma? What's wrong? You seem panicked."

"My mother," I take a panicked breath. "She's laying there unconscious. She's not breathing!" I take a deep breath unable to find any more words. No that cannot happen. She can't just do that to me. She can't leave me!

"Nurse! Ward boy! Quick get me the oxygen supply. Hurry! We don't have enough time!" The doctor shouts as he makes his way inside Mom's room and I rush towards him.

"Doctor, wha-what's wrong with her? Is she fine? She's going to be okay, right?" I'm panicked and I can't stop myself from falling apart. I'm terrified. Terrified to know what will happen. Terrified to know the result of this. Terrified to lose her.

"Ms Varma, you can't stay in here, please wait outside."

"No, I can't leave her here. She's alone, I need to stay here." My voice shakes and I keep repeating the same words.

"Ms Varma. You need to understand, you're wasting our time. We need to start the surgery as soon as possible and you can't be here. The longer you take the longer it will take us to treat your mother."

"No-" I try to object but he ignores me.

"Nurse! Please take her outside. Please wait outside Ms Varma. I'm sorry for this." The nurse immediately takes me outside of the operation theatre as I keep trying to object. She was fine yesterday, what happened suddenly? Why did this have to happen?

Tears start falling down my eyes and yes I am weak. I'm weak because I can't lose my mother. I can't lose the only family I have. She's my everything. What am I going to do without her?

"Keep hope, your mother's surgery is a couple of hours long and you will need to stay strong. It's better if you go to work because staying here will only cause you pain and worry. The work will distract you from this." The nurse suggests as I give her a glare.

"You expect me to go to work when my mother is fighting for her life!" I can't help myself from getting angry. I know it's not the nurse's fault but I can't keep calm. I'm never like this then why can't I keep calm? Why can't I?

My phone suddenly starts ringing interrupting me from my thoughts and I give the nurse one more glance.

"I'm not leaving from here until my Mom gets better." I state as she sighs and walks away.

Ira.

I immediately pick up Ira's call and start sobbing. I can't stop myself from crying.

"Samaara, what's wrong?" Ira's voice sounds alert and concerned.

"Ira, Mom-She's-"

"What's wrong Samaara? Why are you crying? What happened to aunt? Is she okay?" Her questions makes me cry more.