Chapter 28- Death

As soon as CeCe jumped in front of me I knew he would react, but I didn't have time to do anything

As soon as CeCe jumped in front of me I knew he would react, but I didn't have time to do anything. The gun went off and CeCe was slumped against me. It took a second to realize she was just stunned. She heard the shot and was prepared to die. Panic set in, did he really shoot her? Did I miss it? No, it wasn't possible!

Screams echoed throughout the hall and everything seemed to break into action again. About ten men were wrestling with Paul and pulling the gun away from him. Meg was on her knees next to CeCe, making sure she was okay. Me? I could only stare at the lifeless form of her mother. She had stepped in front of Paul the second he pointed the gun at us. Shielding her daughter from danger, just as CeCe had done for me. Several people were on the ground with her, trying to stop the bleeding, but she was gone. Her eyes were soulless and hollow. In that moment I was glad CeCe had blacked out. She could not see this. I asked Meg to stay with her (even though I knew she wouldn't leave her side) and knelt next to the woman who would have been my mother-in-law.

I had called her. I wanted her to witness the proposal. I'd even asked for her blessing, since her father wasn't in the picture. I had always wanted to do that if I ever met 'the one'. I brought her here, to her death.

I put my hands to her eyes and closed them, she wasn't there anymore. It was a blunt reminder of what she sacrificed. Who she saved. It had only been a minute, one short minute since the bullet tore into her heart, but it felt like I sat there for hours. Just taking in the reverence of the moment.

People still clung to the hope they could save her, but it wasn't going to happen. Even when our medic, Helen, came running and pushed everyone away so they could work, it was hopeless. All it took was her checking for a pulse to know that Yvonne was not coming back.

"Eli!!!"

Megan called to me and broke me from my trance. CeCe! I ran back to her and called for the medic. CeCe was grasping for air, like she had been drowning, maybe she was.

Helen came over and asked us to lay her on her side. She took out her stethoscope and pressed it to her front, then back. She grabbed a small light from her bag and shinned it into her eyes.

"She's in shock, I'm going to give her something to calm her down. But it'll put her out for a while. Do you know if she's allergic to any medications?"

I looked at Megan, at she shook her head. I was so thankful she was here.

"No, I guess not. Only thing I know of is eggs, but meds I think are ok."

"Well, some meds actually do have egg, so it's good to know, but this one doesn't. I just wish..."

Helen looked back at Yvonne and I knew what she meant. I wished too.

She held up a small vial and needle. I held CeCe in my arms and bent to kiss her head as she received the shot. I hoped she would be at peace for a little while, because when she did wake up, everything would be different.

Megan must have been thinking the same thing, because I heard her praying for rest. Praying for peace. And praying for wisdom.

Wisdom. How on Earth were we supposed to know what to do now?

I watched as the police arrived and cuffed Paul. It took everything in me not to rush overand beat him till he (and I) felt numb. Till the voices screaming in my head quieted. Till nothing was left.

But I knew the only thing that could keep me from killing him with my bare hands was holding CeCe in my arms. Keeping her close, protected. It could have been her. The reality settled in. I could have lost her.

Tears rushed from my eyes as sobs racked my being. I pulled her up into me and held on for dear life.

Megan hugged us both and shed tears of her own. It was then I realized that she had lost Yvonne too. CeCe had told me how she'd been taken in by her Mom, when Meg's own parents treated her like a nuisance, a third wheel. I released an arm from my sleeping beauty, and wrapped it around her best friend. Her sister.

I glanced around the room, looking for my brother. He was talking to the police. I noticed his knuckles were red and blood stained. Panic shot through me, until I saw Paul being dragged away and the multitude of bruises and scratches marring his face.

Peter had beat the shit out of him. I'd never felt as close to a sibling as I did in that moment. I can only imagine how it must have felt for him when the gun turned my way. He turned to look at me, like he could tell I was thinking about him. A soft smile, followed by a quick look of pity. I must look a mess right now. I didn't really give a shit though. Too much had happened in the span of ten minutes.

God! Ten minutes! Half an hour ago I was preparing to propose to the love of my life. Now she's unconscious and her mother is dead. How can so much happen in so little time?

I guess that's life though, and death. The reality of it hit me like a tidal wave. It was too much, too scary, and far too fucked up. How could we possibly move on from this? Would she ever forgive me? Could I even forgive myself? Why had I pushed for this?! We could have been happy taking things slow! But no! I had to push! I had to have my way, no matter how many people got hurt in the process.

I would live with the guilt forever.