Epilogue

"Breathe, baby, breathe!"

It was a week past her due date. So as much as I love my wife, she hadn't been the easiest person to live with. We were in the middle of a Battlestar Galactica binge when she felt an intense contraction. Our bag had been packed for over a month, so it didn't take long to get on the road to the hospital.

"Shut up, Eli! I swear if these are more Braxton Hicks I'm going to cut this baby out myself!!!"

Fuck.

"Angel, I know...."

"Shut. The. Fuck. Up. Eli!"

I couldn't help but laugh at that. My beautiful, but religious wife just shut me the fuck up. I loved it.

"Yes, dear."

That made her chuckle. I smiled and reached out for her hand. She took it, but then proceeded to squeeze it through another contraction. Based on the time between them, it seemed out little peanut was now getting impatient. We weren't sure if they just got her due date off, or what, but apparently now the baby was on the way.

We decided not to find out the sex before hand. CeCe said it was her one chance to be surprised. Recently though, we've been wondering if we should have, just for plannings sake. Maybe the next one we will.

I pulled up to the doors of the ER and ran to get a nurse. I'd called the doctor when we left the house, so they should have known we were coming.

Sure enough, our favorite nurse was waiting with a wheelchair just inside.

***

"It's a girl."

My daughter. She was beautiful, with a full head of dark hair and crying so loud I could barely hear the doctor.

I was allowed to cut the cord and watched as she was placed on CeCe's chest. We'd heard that skin on skin contact was important for the baby, and I'm so glad we insisted on it.

The look in her eyes was like the sun coming out after a thunderstorm. She'd been wiped out from pushing. Apparently the cord had obstructed the birth. Our little girl was okay though, she just couldn't get out.

It was close, we almost had to do an emergency C-section. But according to the doctor, the baby's heart rate was steady, so they pressed on. It worked out. CeCe was just completely worn out.

After a few minutes they took her and got her cleaned up. I leaned over CeCe and gave her forehead a kiss. She looked amazing.

Just then a loud noise could be heard coming from the hall. It only took a second to figure out it was Megan.

CeCe and I looked at each other and let out a laugh.

"You'd better let her in, otherwise the whole hospital will hear her."