Chapter 30- Resolve

"It should have been me

"It should have been me."

It's all I could think, all I could say.

In the background of my mind I could hear Eli and Meg talking to a doctor, but it meant nothing. Nothing meant anything. Why? Why did this happen?

I wanted to be okay. I knew that my Mom would be disappointed in me if she saw me now, but she can't, and that was the problem.

Too much had happened. Too many people were involved. Too much hurt had been caused.

I warred with myself over what could possibly happen now. Paul had stolen my mother from me, but he'd also stolen my future. He had already taken so much from me when we were married, I didn't think he could take more. He could. He did.

A word snapped me back to reality.

"Why?!"

That was what I needed to know. Who was talking again? Did they need too? I used all the will power I had left and tried to listen.

"But why is she like this?"

"She's retreated into herself. Her subconscious mind has taken over. It's a common coping mechanism."

"How long does it usually last?"

Meg. I would recognize her slightly high pitched voice anywhere, but why did she sound so desperate?

"Ma'am, every patient is different. I'm going to keep checking on her and doing my best, but right now the best thing you can do for her is to talk to her. Make sure she knows you're here. I only ask that if she falls asleep to let her be. She needs rest."

"Thank you, doctor."

Eli. I wanted to reach out to him. To tell him I didn't mean to hurt him. To see if he could still love me.

I pushed through my walls, battled my mind and tongue to say something else. All I could do was gasp. It was all it took.

"CeCe?!"

My eyes slowly fixed on my heart, my love. He looked so tired. Tears flooded my vision. He was my my side in a second. Holding my hand to his lips.

"Oh angel, you had me scared for a while there."

I tried to speak, but again the only words my mind could form were the constant drumming I had been beating.

"It... it was... mmmy..."

"Ssshhhhh... I know you feel that way, please. Try to say something, anything... anything else, really."

"Mr. Montgomery, would you and Ms. North please step outside so I can speak to her for a moment?"

I could tell that Eli was apprehensive, he didn't want to leave me. But I knew that he also needed a break. So I did what I could, I nodded.

"Come on, E... let's go get a coffee."